My new toy will be here tomarrow

Started by MallardWacker, February 23, 2005, 09:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

According to FEDEX, it will be landing here tomarrow.[:D]  Old Mallard Mike will now have a real digital camera, A Nkon Coolpix 5400, 5.1 megapixal, advanced digital camera. Here it is if you wan to take a look at it.Nikon Coolpix 5400 Specs

This baby now has a $200.00 rebate, which brings my cost down to $208.00, that is simply great for a camera like this.  This is more than normal "point and shoot" type, you have all modes at your choosing(anything from full auto to full manual), much like a decent SLR.  Extremely fast write times.  Only draw back is the smaller LCD size, but for $208.00 ship. included, I can't complain.

I am not knew to photgraphy, in this job we probably shoot on average 20-25 rolls a month of 36exp of 35mm in all sorts of conditions.  I have shot a Nikon F2 for years and it has always griped me that digital cameras seem to be so cheap for what you are paying for.  I'm the type of guy that likes to get his hands on something, this 5400 body seems to a good half way point between the body of a small digital and a full size SLR.

Needless to say, the Ol' Mallards posts will have little more life in them.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><font color="red">Needless to say, the Ol' Mallards posts will have little more life in them.</font id="red"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What are you serious?  I never realized that you didn't have a digital camera before!

I always thought this:

Was a candid shot of Fuzzybear

And this:

Was a photo from your 2003 duck hunt.

Huh...what a dumbass I am[:D][;)][:D]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

oguard

Looks good Mallard[:)][8D].I gotta get my but in gear and start looking for a digital camera.I do a far bit of fishing and the kids are still young and playing sports,I think a digital camera would be a good fit.#1 Work a little overtime.#2 convince wife we should have one[:D].
<font color="red">Keep on smokin</font id="red">
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Up In Smoke

you rich guys get all the toys.

i guess i'll have to keep pimpin'

head....spinning........must smoke
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

JJC

That's a super buy on a great camera, MW! Expectations are running high for your future posts . . . hope you can stand the pressure! [8D][;)][8D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

Hey Congrats!

I was not to long ago and a 5.1 was at least 2K. Great Price. I just looked at its specs, and it memtions card type I/ II or a Microdrive card.  

It is up to you what you go with; however, unless there has been a big improvement in the microdrives I would stay away from them. I think I called every camera shop in the area and they all said the same thing. The microdrive was very nice when it worked. Drop it one time and it is more than likely toasted.

Next get a card reader. I use a 20 dollar PNY it plugs into my ubs port. If you are running XP you don't need to install any software. XP auto sees it as another storage device. If you use your camera to download your pictures you will kill its battery.

Anyway looking forward to your pictures! Again Congrats for moving into the 22 century LOL [:D]
Olds

EDIT I see it comes with a 16 meg card. That is nice. Most don't come with a card as I understand it. When you go with a bigger card look at its transfer rate in Megs. That may not sound important at the moment but it will be just as soon as you hit the wall. If I shoot in large JPG that is about 3.5 megs per shot, and if I take 5-6 shots real fast I can out run my buffer. Now that is when your transfer speed comes into play.  The card I'm using is a Lexar 512 MB and it transfers @ 6 megs per second.  Now I sure that is more that most will need unless they get into this as a real hobby. My wife has filled that card in one day. I just scratched my head. I don't see how anyone can take 140 plus photos in a day.

Oh ya I don't know about your area but here you can take your card in and have the photos developed. Now here is what is really nice about the card. You export your image into your editing software. Do what you want to it and then save it back to your card!!

EDIT/ EDIT WoW has the cost come down on the Lexar card. Tiger Direct has as a 1 gig at 1/2 the price of my 512 and it has 12 megs (80 X) tranfer rate!

Tiger Direct I better not tell my wife about this LOL!

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What are you serious? I never realized that you didn't have a digital camera before!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">White, you crack me up....You would think I would have one, I do animation but have no digital camera.  I think it comes down to a basic credo: I'm a flaming cheap butt.

Olds, as far as the memory, yes I did order a nice little Nikon starter kit for that camera with a 256 high-speed card in the package and a card reader.  I'm going to see how that does for me....You are correct about the micro drives...

About developing the photos, I have a nice Epson Photo 1280, but I believe I will probably use Sams, they do a great job on digital and I can upload them to my local store and pick them later.  Too easy.

I just got off the phone with my boss, it looks like I am on the way to Austin for a couple of days~~Those crazy people keep crashing into each other.  But anyway, getting a new toy and can't play with it, all I can say is: bummer.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

I shoot a Nikon D1 and upgrade from my old Nikon E2 that is now gathering dust and will be looking for a home.  I bought a little pack-of-cards size Sony digital camcorder and camera for my wife to use on her camping trips with friends and hiking(She climbed Mount Shasta last year at 58 years old).  The new digitals are amazing.

I like the SLR Nikons dispite their size because I can load up any of the conventional Nikon lenses for telephoto, studio or macro work.

Have fun with your new camera.  One printer I feel is one of the best out there is the Epson 2200.  It's 7 color archive quality  prints are unbelievable. I replaced an Epson 9000 for photo printing with the 2200.  It has paper roll capability, and the inks guaranteed for 75 years.  Used ones can be had for about $400 refurbished and worth every penney.  Saves those trips to get prints, and will take 11" wide paper any length you want.  It does borderless prints too.  I have a couple of external cartridge systems one with photo black and the other with matte black along with the other 6 colors, and just switch cartridges if I want to do glossies.

You would be amazed at the depth of the prints and quality.  With the kind of megapixels you have capability of shooting with the new camera, your output in a Epson 2200 would make even the most critical viewer happy!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />I don't see how anyone can take 140 plus photos in a day.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You haven't been to Alaska, Olds![;)]

Warning: Buy way more than you think you'll need BEFORE you go. That gig card cost me righteous $$$ in Anchorage.[:0] Interestingly though, they had them there & the biggest I could find here was 512's.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Cold Smoke

Hey Kirk- How 'bout some pics??

Cold Smoke

smokinrookieswife

You are going to love your "new toy"!! Me and smokinrookie each have one of our own, (mine is better of course!! LOL!) [:D]   But, I can't immagine not having it now! Have fun pic takin'!! [:)]

smokem' from behind!

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />Hey Kirk- How 'bout some pics??

Cold Smoke
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Right On, CS.....Kirk's photos had ME saying "WOW!", and I LIVE up here!!  His photos are pro quality.......Strut yer stuff, Kirk[:p][8D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA