Mom's real Italian Lasagne!

Started by smokinrookieswife, February 22, 2005, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinrookieswife

My mom made this for years and it is the best I have ever tasted. She passed it on to me, and so now, here it is. Be ready , if you are a fan of Italian food, you will LOVE this!!!

PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 degrees

1 lb of ground chuck
1/2 lb of fresh Italian sausage
1 clove of garlic
1 tblspn of basil
1-1/2 tspns of salt
1- one lb can of tomatoes
2 six oz cans of tomato paste
10 oz or one box of large lasagne noodles
3 cups ricotta or cottage cheese (you can also do this half and half if you prefer)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tblspns parsley flakes
2 large beaten eggs
2 tspns of salt
1/2 tspn of pepper
1 to 1 1/2 lbs of Mozarella cheese

Crumble and brown meat slowly, pour off excess fat. Add next five ingredients. Simmer uncovered occasionally. <b>Don't let it burn on the </b><b>bottom!!!</b>

Cook noodles in large pot of salted boiling water till tender. Drain and rinse.
Combine:  Cottage cheese, Ricotta, Parmesan, Parsley, Eggs, Salt, and Pepper in a bowl.
Slice Mozarella into thin slices.
Place half the noodles in 13x9x2, inch baking pan
Top with half the cottage-ricotta cheese filling
Top with half the Mozarella cheese slices
Top with half the tomato sauce mixture
Repeat layers

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes
Remove from oven and sprinkle with a little more Parmesan Cheese.
Let stand a few minutes before cutting into squares.  (filling will set lightly)

Serves up great, especially with garlic bread!!! [:)][:)]

Yum!! Enjoy!! ...HINT: If you don't have the exact measure of main ingredients, it is better to err on the " more side" than the less!!
i.e. "more" cheeses, "more" meat, "more" noodles, ect. ect. !!! [:D][:D][:D][:o)][:p]

smokem' from behind!

jaeger

rookieswife,

Sounds like a GREAT recipe. I can't wait to give it a try. Just last weekend we went to an italian restaurant and I had Grilled Sicilian Meatloaf. That was really good but I've been wanting to make lasagne ever since. Thanks for the recipe.

Doug

smokinrookieswife

No problem jaeger! This recipe has been passed down for years. My mom's best friend was from Italy. I can promise you that you won't go wrong with this one!! Especially if you like Italian, and I have to say, I do!!!
You can play with it a little ,add other spices for your own taste, but even if you follow the recipe to the "tee" it will be awsome!!
Just a note..... It is the first thing I made for "smokinrookie" before we got married, and he loved it!! He even took the leftovers for lunch the next couple of days!!   [:D][:)][8D]
Oh yeah, one little hint.... My mom told me that the last time she made it she used the lasagna noodles that you don't have to pre-cook. They have them now that you can just put them in there out of the box, no boiling or cooking necessary beforehand. I thought that was pretty cool. She said it didn't change the taste at all. So to save time and energy, it might be worth a try!!!

smokem' from behind!

jaeger

Thanks again smokinrookieswife!
 I already printed out a copy and am just waiting for the opportunity to give it a try.

Tonight we are............close your eyes................

smoking cheese!!![:D][:p][}:)]

Doug

nsxbill

Great Recipe...Thanks for posting it up...I will add it to the list of things that won't be allowed on my diet....will, of course, have to try it once!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

Without a doubt I will do this for Sunday's dinner. Thank you! The only question I have is the can of tomatoes diced or ?

Thank you again,
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

smokinrookieswife

Oldman,
Yes , the can of tomatoes is diced. You can also use fresh tomatoes, and blanch them , then chop or dice them yourself to your own liking.
Hope that you enjoy!![:D][:D][8D]

smokem' from behind!