• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Element trouble... I think, help!

Started by Maonaze, September 12, 2009, 10:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maonaze

I purchased my smoker 6-8 weeks ago and have loved it so far. I was smoking a brisket over night got the smoke applied and was finishing with a boat. I noticed the temp dropping on the remote monitor. I checked the OBS and the power indicator was not lit. Would that indicate a burnt element or do I have other issues? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mr Walleye

Hi Maonaze and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would do is make sure you still have power running to you smoker. Next make sure the cords are all plugged in firmly. Try unplugging and re-plugging them in.

The other thing that may have happened is it may have over heated. If the OBS overheats it will trip a over temp sensor, once it's tripped the unit will have to cool down before it will fire back up.

I'm assuming you have tried moving the temp slider around to try and get it going as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Maonaze

I have unplugged everything and replugged, allowed it to cool, messed with the temp adjustment. The power indicator to the smoke generator lights and the puck advance works fine. The power indicator for the heating element I get nothing.

Mr Walleye

Right now, because you are at the "boating" stage I would move your brisket into the oven so you don't mess up your supper.

There are only a few things it can be. The over temp sensor, temp control board or the element. The element is easy enough to check if you have an ohm meter. Disconnect the unit from the power source first. Simply remove the 2 screws on the ceramic caps at the end of the heating element. I would also remove the wiring from each end of the element and check the element for continuity. No continuity = no worky.

It seems to me Brian from Bradley had a post about testing the temp slider. I'll see if I can find it.

Either way, I would give Bradley a shout on Monday. They will look after you.

Mike

Maonaze

I can't believe how quick the response was on this. Thanks! I sure hope it is something simple.

Mr Walleye

I'm sure it will be something simple, just a question of narrowing it down to the problem for sure.

Mike

classicrockgriller

Maonaze, welcome and after your problem is fixed come on back to forum and sit awhile. You don't have to have a problem to visit, bring pictures of some smoke.
Mr W and others here are top notch.

ArnieM

Hi Maonaze,

Dumb question, but have you checked the fuse on the back of the SG?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Welcome to the fun Maonaze

Did you get your smoker fixed ?

If so, what was the fix, I'm sure it would help someone down the line

Maonaze

Arn - I have not checked the fuse but if the fuse was out the smoke generator wouldn't work would it?

OU812 -  I have not figured it out yet, business has taken me on the road this week and probably won't be able to address the issue until Friday.

Thanks for all the help and if anyone has other ideas, please bring them on!

KyNola

Just asking, is it possible the temp slider is all the way to the right where some OBS have a total dead spot?  I'm sure it's probably not but just wanted to ask.

KyNola

westexasmoker

I had this same issue not to long ago....quote from Brian

"When you say 0 across the inline fuse and sensor is that volts?

I Think your heat element is burnt out best way to test is with an ohm meter you should have between 27-30 ohms
Testing for voltage on the heat element gets confusing  it should be like this though

With just the tower only plugged in.

With the temp switch on high

On the side of the element with the single white wire you should have 120V
On the side of the element with the two red wires you should be reading 1-2 volts

Make sure when you test these that your ground probe from your tester is on a ground screw on the tower.

When you test the inline fuse or temp sensor again the best way is to check for continuity across the terminals.

With the temp switch being a reostat type voltage reading can vary depending on were the switch is in postion."

Hope that helps some!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Maonaze

If you follow what Westexas has posted you should be able to narrow down the problem.

I would start by checking the in-line fuse it is behind the back cover of your tower

This is what it looks like

Give me a call at the office if you need more help.

Quote from: KyNola on September 15, 2009, 05:07:09 PM
Just asking, is it possible the temp slider is all the way to the right where some OBS have a total dead spot?  I'm sure it's probably not but just wanted to ask.

KyNola
This was a problem on very old smokers I have been testing the switches for a long time now and have never run across this problem yet

Brian

KyNola

Thanks Brian.  That's good info to have.

KyNola