Cole Slaw - Again?

Started by ArnieM, September 12, 2009, 10:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

My daughter came over for ribs last weekend.  She was diagnosed as lactose intolerant.  So, my usual recipe that includes sour cream and milk wouldn't hack it.  I made up a (new to me) recipe and it went over very well.  Here it is.  Do this a few hours ahead of dinner.

• Use a large bowl for tossing.
  • 1 1/2 TBS Rice Vinegar
  • 1 tsp chopped, dried onion*.
  • 1/2 tsp granulated garlic*.
  • 1/2 tsp pickling salt (it dissolves cold).
  • 1/4 tsp Chipotle powder, or to taste.
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard (Coleman's)
  • 1 tsp sugar or to taste.
  • Some fresh ground black pepper, also to taste.
  • 1/8 tsp Celery salt
  • 2 pieces of sun dried tomato, diced, mainly for color.

Mix these together to get the salt and sugar to dissolve.

• 2 TBS Olive oil.  Stir well.
  • 1 14 Oz. (or so) bag of cole slaw mix.
Toss well.  I use tongs.  Keep tossing every 20-30 minutes.  The salt pulls the water out of the cabbage and it kind of "cooks down".  I leave it on the counter because cold olive oil isn't too good.  Give it a final toss before serving.

* Feel free to use fresh ingredients - finely chopped garlic or celery.  You might have to up the salt a bit if not using celery salt.  I tend to go light on the salt while cooking and put a sea salt grinder on the table for those who like more.

I just made this again today to put along side some brisket.

Let me know what you think.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

mikecorn.1

Thnkx for that recipe. I have a tought time with dairy, if you know what i mean. I also have a recipe for cole slaw with no dairy in it. I will get the exact measurements of ingredients later when i get home. (Im at work  ;D).
Mike

ArnieM

I just tasted today's mix after it was sitting for about 1.5 hours.  Not bad.  Actually, this was the first time I actually measured everything so that I could post the recipe.  ;)  I'm usually just a "dump stuff together" kinda guy.

Well, at least you're working.  I was laid off mid-March ( software development ).  I had to train my replacements and then they went back to India.  But, it has been a nice relaxing summer.  ;D
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Thanks for sharing that Arnie.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: ArnieM on September 12, 2009, 11:37:43 AM
I just tasted today's mix after it was sitting for about 1.5 hours.  Not bad.  Actually, this was the first time I actually measured everything so that I could post the recipe.  ;)  I'm usually just a "dump stuff together" kinda guy.

Well, at least you're working.  I was laid off mid-March ( software development ).  I had to train my replacements and then they went back to India.  But, it has been a nice relaxing summer.  ;D

What a load of shi[ that is. Hate it when we have to call for support when out in the field and we get some yahoo claiming that his name is Robert or Sam with that accent from uhhhhhh, lets just say overseas and he asks, How can i help you, but you cant understand anything after that. But they are support for the field techs. I work for a nice size phone company known world wide.   Logo looks kinda like the death star from star wars.  ;D  ::)
Mike

Caribou

Thanks Arnie!
That looks like it would be really good...how can you lose with chipolte and sun dried matos.
I love making coleslaw when I make Mexican food for some reason, just a neat contrast.
I'll try it next time for sure.
Carolyn

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on September 12, 2009, 11:37:43 AM
Well, at least you're working.  I was laid off mid-March ( software development ). 

Hey hey...  A fellow computer geek.   What kind of work (language/platforms) did you used to do??

Sorry to hear about the layoff.  This has been a tough year at our company as well.  Our biggest ($$$$) customers are banks and pension funds...  When they started tanking, things slowed down in a hurry.

squirtthecat

Oh, and PS:   That coleslaw sounds awesome!

ArnieM

Well, just finished eating.  Pretty good stuff.  I'll start a new thread with my findings and a few pics.  I'll try to respond to all of you nice people here.

The cole slaw turned out good; wilted down but still crunchy.

Carolyn, interesting.  I've never tried it with Mexican, though I do love Mexican and SW cooking.  The cole slaw goes pretty well with beef, chicken and of course, pork.  My wife's best friend's son manages a restaurant here in town.  He came up with a hot dog on a grilled bun with a vinegar and oil based slaw on top - pretty good.

Hi MC.1.  I had to read your post to see if you were dumping on me or not - it appears not.  My largest customers are (sorry, were) in the retail food vertical.  That includes Kroger and its affiliates, Stop & Shop (Ahold), Big Y and others.  Kroger, especially, will not be happy calling India.

STC - I did C++ on Windows, both GUI and console programs.  They hired me to convert their old telnet/UNIX/ISAM code to client/server with a back-end DB server.  We supported Oracle 8.i and up, SQL Server and IBM's DB2, all with the same runtime code; difficult but doable.

So, the next time you check out at the grocery store, it's likely my code is WATCHING you.  Every card and every scan, along with coupons and tenders, is recorded by the Point of Sale (POS) system.

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
-- Arnie

Caribou

Quote from: ArnieM on September 12, 2009, 05:14:24 PM

Carolyn, interesting.  I've never tried it with Mexican, though I do love Mexican and SW cooking.  The cole slaw goes pretty well with beef, chicken and of course, pork.  My wife's best friend's son manages a restaurant here in town.  He came up with a hot dog on a grilled bun with a vinegar and oil based slaw on top - pretty good.

Yeah Arnie,
It might be a little different, but now that I see your slaw recipe with chipolte maybe it would tie in a little better.
Those hot dogs you describe sound awesome! :)
Carolyn

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on September 12, 2009, 05:14:24 PM

STC - I did C++ on Windows, both GUI and console programs.  They hired me to convert their old telnet/UNIX/ISAM code to client/server with a back-end DB server.  We supported Oracle 8.i and up, SQL Server and IBM's DB2, all with the same runtime code; difficult but doable.

So, the next time you check out at the grocery store, it's likely my code is WATCHING you.  Every card and every scan, along with coupons and tenders, is recorded by the Point of Sale (POS) system.

Cool stuff.  I'm a C guy myself: Windows, Unix and the big IBM mainframes.  VAX/VMS in a previous life..  I also dabble in a little HTML/JavaScript (AJAX) for a Unix based archiving packages we work on.

I hope things turn around for you soon.

Our consulting division hires a lot of subcontractors now for short/long term projects.  If anything opens up in CT, I'll be sure to give you a buzz.

ArnieM

-- Arnie