Third OBS smoke - Brisket this time and a few pics

Started by ArnieM, September 13, 2009, 08:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on September 14, 2009, 08:21:36 AM
Looks like you did a nice job for your first brisket there Arnie
Thanks.  It did taste pretty good.

As Cs said try to cook everything in the middle of your cabnet that way you shouldnt have to rotate the racks and the point on the rack above the flat was a good choice. I like to cook brisket with a cabnet temp of 230 F I'm sure the next time will be perfect.
I'll kick the cabinet temp up next time and go for the middle two racks.

The nice thing about smoking is even if it didnt turn out like you wanted it was still good
Yup!

I have the ET-73 and havent had a bad experience with it yet, if the range is the selling point on the recipe site there is a post on adding a better antenna for longer reception
Thanks.  I saw that article here about a week ago.  Of course, if one attempts it and the unit breaks, it's time to throw it away.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 14, 2009, 08:37:00 AM
Quote from: OU812 on September 14, 2009, 08:21:36 AM
I have the ET-73 and havent had a bad experience with it yet, if the range is the selling point on the recipe site there is a post on adding a better antenna for longer reception

Ditto.  Only once during an overnight smoke did mine flake out on me.   

Cheap Trick:    Keep the remote well within range, and use a cheap baby monitor to 'relay' any temperature alarms to you..

Dang, you people are resourceful!  ;D

-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on September 14, 2009, 08:38:50 AM
Thanks.  I saw that article here about a week ago.  Of course, if one attempts it and the unit breaks, it's time to throw it away.

My response to that...

(I get this magazine, and need to order one of those sweatshirts)

OU812

ArnieM

I agree with the shirt STC.  I used to be in ham radio and EE before S/W development.  I built my own radio transmitters and computers.  So, I'm not afraid of it.  It's just that at this age, I want to but a computer, hook it up and slide it under the desk. :P

Hey, about a sweatshirt with "IF YOU CAN'T SMOKE IT YOU DON'T WANT IT"?
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

No arguments here....   Tinkering is a lot of fun, but plug & play is a lot easier in the end.

I am going to try the Maverick hack when I get my smoke shed all assembled/wired again.   I already broke a piece off of the ET-73 (battery cover), so it's returning days are over.

ArnieM

I just reheated some of Saturday's brisket (the tip) for lunch today.  A splash of red wine and apple juice wrapped tightly in foil at 325 F for a bit less than an hour.  Sliced up a mound, put it on toasted, buttered rye bread with some BBQ sauce.  DY-NO-MITE!  I still have enough brisket left for dinner.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

This is hopefully my last post in this thread.  I gave what was left of my Saturday brisket flat to my daughter yesterday (Sunday).  She heated it up and she and my son-in-law said it was really good.  It's a lot of fun to smoke but a few compliments are nice too.  :)
-- Arnie

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on September 14, 2009, 05:30:36 PM
This is hopefully my last post in this thread.  I gave what was left of my Saturday brisket flat to my daughter yesterday (Sunday).  She heated it up and she and my son-in-law said it was really good.  It's a lot of fun to smoke but a few compliments are nice too.  :)

I always want to here what others have to say wether its good or bad that way i can adjust what is off. Compliments are always nice