Chicken livers

Started by westexasmoker, September 16, 2009, 09:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Livers rinsed, membrane cut off, wrapped with bacon and onto the skewers.  Smoker heating up to 220

1 1/2 - 2 hours of smoke, just till the bacon starts to crisp up and the livers are tender

Might as well do some chickens.  Halved, simple salt and pepper seasoning

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

mikecorn.1

So what are you going to hit the chicken with. Maple?  ;D ;D ;D
Mike

muzzletim

Nice looking Liver and chicken!!!
Tim

Tenpoint5

Them is some damn fine looking Yardbirds WTS!! How long did you throw the smoke to them to get that much coloring?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

westexasmoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 16, 2009, 10:22:30 AM
Them is some damn fine looking Yardbirds WTS!! How long did you throw the smoke to them to get that much coloring?

Those were a bit over 4 hours, actually a little longer than I planned on.  The trick to get the coloring is to give them a baste of melted butter after about an hour and a half.

C

Wildcat

I am curious on how the livers tasted.  Hehe - there are a couple of fellas on here that did not have much success with livers.  :D  Do not recall what kind of liver though.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Quote from: Wildcat on September 16, 2009, 10:49:35 AM
I am curious on how the livers tasted.  Hehe - there are a couple of fellas on here that did not have much success with livers.  :D  Do not recall what kind of liver though.

Livers were excellent, but its an acquired taste, I'm the only one in the house that will touch them....Love livers can't stand gizzards, go figure!

C

Tenpoint5

Quote from: westexasmoker on September 16, 2009, 10:43:24 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 16, 2009, 10:22:30 AM

Those were a bit over 4 hours, actually a little longer than I planned on.  The trick to get the coloring is to give them a baste of melted butter after about an hour and a half.

C
Gonna have to log that trick in the memory banks never heard that one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Nice pics of the the finished yard birds. Nice color. Will try that myself to get that color.
Mike

KyNola

WTS,
Without a doubt those have to be best looking chicken halves I have ever seen.

Note to self:  Baste chickens with melted butter 1 and 1/2 hours into smoke.

KyNola

manxman

Quotethere are a couple of fellas on here that did not have much success with livers.

I think that may well be Iceman and me!  ;) :D  Seem to remember that I tried lambs liver although I can't remember what Pat used. All I can say is good luck to anyone who tries smoking liver although it is great to see you have made a success of it westexasmoker.  :)

Manxman

Wildcat

I love liver myself, but can't imagine adding a smoke flavor. Like the bacon idea though.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Caribou

The liver and the chickens look wonderful WTS!
Carolyn

Up In Smoke

The chickens look great, but i just cannot wrap my mind around eating a filter :P
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

HawkeyeSmokes

Darn it WTS, I thought you were the brisket king! And now the chicken king too?  ;D That looks great including the livers!!!
HawkeyeSmokes