Brisket Help.

Started by Cot, September 19, 2009, 06:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cot

I'm smoking 14 lb brisket.  Put in the smoker @ 7pm Friday 220 temp.  Reset the timer @ 11:00 pm.  Timer didn't set for 9:40 but 4:00 hours.  I didn't check until 8am Saturday.  Smoker turned off at 3am.  IT was 90 @ 8:00am.  Whats my best option to salvage this thing.

classicrockgriller

cot, welcome and don't feel bad, your not the first this has happen to. I think you are a point where you have a food saftey issue, but I may be wrong. That was 5 hrs and probably took two to cool down, so you are at about 3 hrs of a half cooked brisket. Just make a good decision.

ArnieM

I think I'd wrap it/them in foil and put into a slow oven - around 250 - for an IT of 190 or so.  However, if the brisket is basically only warm and has been sitting around at room temp for quite a while, I might dump it for food safety reasons as CRG said.  Or, maybe yu can have your mother-in-law over.  ;D  Yeah, I know, nasty.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Cot on September 19, 2009, 06:02:05 AM
I'm smoking 14 lb brisket.  Put in the smoker @ 7pm Friday 220 temp.  Reset the timer @ 11:00 pm.  Timer didn't set for 9:40 but 4:00 hours.  I didn't check until 8am Saturday.  Smoker turned off at 3am.  IT was 90 @ 8:00am.  Whats my best option to salvage this thing.

Would you have any knowledge of what the surface meat temperature was? I may have been well over 140°F. When you pulled the brisket out, could you guesstimate how hot the surface was. With solid muscle the main concern, in the time frame you are talking about, is the surface; that is where the bacteria is concentrated. If the surface was above 140°F, when you checked it, it should be alright to finish cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)