First Pulled Pork

Started by BC Smokin', September 19, 2009, 06:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Smokin'

I was finally able to smoke my first  pork butt,  I smoked it with Maple bisquettes for three hours. Started yesterday, about 10AM, finished today about 5PM. I will try to load pics. About 9 last night, decided to bring it indoors as it was getting chilly outside. I FTCed it because I thought it would be done before I work up, but I was wrong, waaaaaaaaaay wrong! Took it out of the FTC this morning at 4AM, decided it was not ready to pull. So into the house oven at 200 degrees, kept checking it and finally decided to pull it at 5PM just in time for supper. I smoked it with Maple bisquettes for three hours. It was awesome! Very juicy and tender and full of maple smoke flavor. I put the leftovers in a bowl and decided that we would just pig out on it this weekend. Let me know what you think. I am here to learn, so don't hold back with your comments, good or bad.

BC Smokin'
You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl

FLBentRider

Looks good.

What was the IT when you put it in FTC ?

How did you like it ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BC Smokin'

BC Smokin'

Tenpoint5

Mix a little cream cheese in there and stuff into some jalapenos wrap in bacon and you will have some really good ABT's.
Looks great.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BC Smokin'

Sorry about the big pics, I did resize them, I don't think it worked. I have trouble in photobucket.

Yes, we absolutely LOVED it!  Will be doing lots more next spring. Too bad it gets too cold here to smoke in the winter, already it is down to 40 degrees F in the early mornings. However, it is nice in the day right now and may be nice for a while, we usually do have a nice fall. So, I'll keep smokin as long as I can.
BC Smokin'

BC Smokin'

I forgot to take the IT when I put it in the FTC. One of my many mistakes I'm sure, but it wasn't done.
BC Smokin'

Tenpoint5

Quote from: BC Smokin' on September 19, 2009, 06:40:59 PM
Sorry about the big pics, I did resize them, I don't think it worked. I have trouble in photobucket.

Yes, we absolutely LOVED it!  Will be doing lots more next spring. Too bad it gets too cold here to smoke in the winter, already it is down to 40 degrees F in the early mornings. However, it is nice in the day right now and may be nice for a while, we usually do have a nice fall. So, I'll keep smokin as long as I can.

A what's the problem smoking during the winter? I have had the Bradley fired up and running in the garage at -20 and outside at 10 degrees F. As long as you keep the wind from blowing over and in the vent you will be good just takes a little longer to warm up and to recover when you open the door, but you can use the Braqdley year round.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BC Smokin'

Those ABTs sound great, if only I knew where to buy jalapenos. No where around here.
BC Smokin'

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking pork there BC. Do you have a WalMart any where near? They might have jalapenos. 
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

Nottin wrong with those pics. Look good. congrats on the butt.
Mike

pensrock

Quote from: BC Smokin' on September 19, 2009, 06:45:56 PM
Those ABTs sound great, if only I knew where to buy jalapenos. No where around here.

You do not have to use penos, hot wax peppers work well. You can use about any pepper.

The pork looks great. And like was stated before, if you can keep the wind off it, you can pretty much smoke year round.

ArnieM

Hi BCs',

It looks like you recovered pretty well and the butt looks great.  I'm also still in the learning stage with the OBS.  I did my first butt in the OBS today but I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack yours.  :)

On the peppers, I'd figure almost any longer, thin pepper would work as long as it's big enough to stuff.  If you like it hot and the pepper isn't, add some cayenne or chipotle to the mix.  A cheese stuffing is nice and creamy but, as I've learned here, they can be stuffed with darn near anything.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Great looking butt there - moist and tasty looking.  There is no particular reason to leave the oven on 200 - you could have set it at 250 and gotten great results also - and a little faster.  Besides, doubt if the oven was really 200 anyways - they are notoriously inconsistent and variable at the low temps.  Nothing wrong with the 200 but a little higher would also be great, if you did not want to do another for 31 hours.  Just saying. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Looks good, nice and moist

I also smoke all year round, the smoker is in the shed out of the wind

classicrockgriller

Nice job BC, one thing that has been stated here if you chop up you outside crust rather than leave it in big chunks and mix it in with what you have pulled it will help distribute the smoke and maple flavoe thru the pork. Looks very moist.