Quick Chicken

Started by ArnieM, September 23, 2009, 11:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I ended up short on time for this one but got everything done in about 4 hours.

Ingredients: OBS, one 4.5 pound (package weight) chicken, one large acorn squash, some other stuff.

Marinade: Soy sauce, white wine, molasses, chicken broth and fresh ground ginger in a zip bag.

Cleaned up the bird.  Cut out the backbone and split down the breast.  Here it is ready for the marinade.

It stayed in the marinade for about an hour in the fridge with a lot of shaking and rotating.

Rub: Dirty Dalmatian.  Salt, fresh ground pepper and chipotle powder.

All rubbed up and going into the OBS.

I tried pecan; haven't used it before.  1:40 of smoke and pull it.  No need to check IT yet.

Meanwhile, prep the acorn squash - it was a big one.  I cut them in half, remove the seeds and make aluminum foil rings to sit them on to keep them level.  Filled with a pat of butter, milk, fresh ground black pepper, a pinch of salt and, of course, chipotle powder.  I figured on an hour or a little more in a 400 oven.  They're ready for the oven.

I preheated the gas grill aiming to keep it around 375-400.  Made a simple glaze of about 2 TBS honey, 1 TBS olive oil and, you guessed it, chipotle powder. 

The chicken goes onto the grill, with the temp probe.

The chicken is done. 

Pulled it and let it rest a few minutes.  Meanwhile, turned the broiler on a few minutes for the acorns.

Had dinner with some tossed green salad.  This won't make it onto 30 minute meals, but 4 hours wasn't bad.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BigJohnT

That looks real good. Who would have thought that the you guys would get me to eat my veggies  :D

John

squirtthecat

Very nice!

I need to try that 'chicken whacked in half' method sometime..

pensrock

I'm not a squash eater but you lay one of those chicken in front of me and it would be gone. Looks great.  :)
pens

ArnieM

Thanks for the compliments.  The chicken and squash was good.

I've done chicken on the grill this way for a long time.  That's why I had two bricks, to flatten 'em out.  The bricks are now in the OBS for temperature control.

I also do the beer can chicken on the grill and in the oven.  I haven't tried it in the OBS yet.

Recipe:  One six pack of 12 oz. cans for a 3-3.5 pound chicken, 16 oz. cans for anything larger.  Put the chicken on a half-full can.  I forgot the rest.  ;D
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

My kinda recipe.

But go through the 6-pack reading the threads here, then I start cooking..   ;)

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

Nice looking spread. Just got a whole chicken to cut in half to it can go in the smoker with some mesquite. Maybe this weekend
Mike

deb415611

HawkeyeSmokes

The chicken and squash both look great Arnie. I do my acorn squash about the same way except instead of butter, I like to put a couple pieces of bacon in each half.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

I've done it with butter AND crumbled bacon before.  Hey, If you're gonna be decadent, go all the way.  Also, cream or half and half is good instead of my 2% milk.

But, as I've said, I was doing this on short notice and didn't have any of those things in stock.  :(
-- Arnie

OU812

That is a good looking meal you whipped up in no time

I love butter nut squash, cant do the milk though but lots of butter and a little brown sugar works for me

ArnieM

Thanks OU.  Did you ever try plain soy milk?  The stuff isn't half bad.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on September 23, 2009, 04:37:13 PM
Thanks OU.  Did you ever try plain soy milk?  The stuff isn't half bad.

Yes, a little blah, kinda like skim, but never tried to cook with it though, the chocolate is great