• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

big cook this weekend........

Started by firerescueman, September 22, 2009, 08:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firerescueman

Having a fundraiser for my volunteer fire department next weekend.......  Gonna be cooking about 25 pork butts,  and 140 chicken halves.  Making homemade baked beans and slaw,  and might even make a couple of fatties for the guys.....  (oh yeah,  can't forget the homemade BBQ sauce!)  Gonna start cooking about lunchtime next Friday to have everything done by 10am Saturday.  Doing a slow cook on the butts over real hickory coals,  gonna pull them early and FTC, then put chickens on the grill.   Will pull the butts as we sell the meat.  Some butts will be sold whole.
Wish us luck!    Any of you guys traveling through the Jackson, TN area next Saturday, look us up and come get some Q!

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Gizmo

Sounds like the place to stay away from at least until the food is cooked.  LOL
Actually I'd like to be able to help out but Tn is just a little too far to drive.  ;)
That is a lot of food.  I sure the folks there will really enjoy.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Hopefull Romantic

Holy smokes. That is one big job you are undertaking. Good luck and hope you reach your FR target.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caneyscud

Man, Jeff, I really, really, really wish I was in town this weekend.  Jackson, is not but just a hop-skip-and a jump from me.  That sounds like a lot of fun!  I'd be there in a moment.  But got a date with Texas BBQ, old gray fat H.S. reunion buddies, and some Texas Gulf coast finned creatures at the end of a line.  Wishing you lotta luck and fun!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mikecorn.1

Wow  :o, that alot of butt and chicken. Good luck and may you raise lots of $$$$. If you can have someone take pics to post them for us to see.
Mike

KyNola

In Paducah KY this weekend, huge BBQ Festival. 50+ teams, both amateur and professional begin firing up the smokers tomorrow and smoke all weekend.  They expect 30-40,000 people to attend.  All teams select a charity and all of the proceeds go to their respective charity.  They expect to smoke and sell over 60 tons of pork and chicken.  They run out of food every year.  BBQ, beer and music all weekend long set on the Ohio River.

Come join us!
KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KyNola on September 23, 2009, 06:54:01 AM
In Paducah KY this weekend, huge BBQ Festival. 50+ teams, both amateur and professional begin firing up the smokers tomorrow and smoke all weekend.  They expect 30-40,000 people to attend.  All teams select a charity and all of the proceeds go to their respective charity.  They expect to smoke and sell over 60 tons of pork and chicken.  They run out of food every year.  BBQ, beer and music all weekend long set on the Ohio River.

Come join us!
KyNola

I am reminded of the times I use to visit those back in Florida. I would spend 8 hours every day they and just enjoy all the smoked stuff. Hope your weekend weather would be good.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

Wow Ky, that sounds great.  One heck of a lot of food and even more people.  Do you smoke/cook there?  Regardless, that must be one heck of an experience.  Up here in CT, we can cook up maybe 10 pounds of hot dogs, ...

I simply have got to get south.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 23, 2009, 07:03:02 PM
(I will be getting one of their posters to put it my smoke shed)
Hmmm.  How many people go through/fit in your smoke shed?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Firerescueman,
I unintentionally hijacked your thread and for that I apologize.  I set up a different post this evening.  If you guys are around Jackson TN, hometown of Carl Perkins and I think the location of the Casey Jones Museum, please go by and help Firerescueman in his extremely worthy cause.

Arnie, no I don't smoke in the deal in Paducah.  It is serious work.  Some of those teams have been there since Sunday just setting up.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Hey FRM, take some pics of the charity smoke....we would love to see it.

firerescueman

Hey all,

Geez, looks like I got my dates mixed up!  THIS weekend I am carrying the big cooker down to Pinson, TN to help another volunteer fire dept cook 400+ chickens for THEIR fundraiser.

NEXT weekend,  (October 3rd) is when the big cook is (for MY fire station)

Yes,  If I am not too grumpy,  I will try to get pictures along the way........

Thanks for the support!

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

classicrockgriller

Remember the cause and enjoy the time...and take pictures

deb415611

Firerescueman -- Have a great couple weekends & good luck .....  that's a huge undertaking....