Roast Suckling Pig

Started by Johnno, September 28, 2009, 05:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnno

New to the forum so apologies if this has been covered before.

Has anyone successfully roasted a whole suckling pig vertically in a 6 rack digital smoker?  Is the maximum temperature of 160C enough to crisp the skin?  Would too much heat be lost from opening the door to baste periodically?

Thanks

Hopefull Romantic

Hey there Johnno and welcome to the forum.

I cant help you on the roasting issue but I can tell you that the temperature would fall drastically every time you open the door to baste or to even take a look and the degrees recovery takes good time. There are many ways to help the recovery issue like placing a foil wrapped brick inside the smoke and using hot water in the bisquettes bowl.

For your roasting, I am sure that some one more experienced will be dropping soon to offer assistance.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

3rensho

If memory serves I recall someone posting to this forum with a whole piggy, vertical in a Bradley.  Haven't got time to do much searching.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

classicrockgriller

Sounds like fun, but you may have a weight issue on the braces. I'm really not sure. Check to see what your single rack load rate is since you will be hanging off the top rack. It is going to take some time. 2-4 Boston Butts will take 18 to 24 hrs to reach an it of 180. As for as crisping the skin I think EVOO wil help you get a crisp skin. If you decide to do it, post pics. would love to see it. Good luck.   CRG

Wildcat

There was some talk about possibly doing a whole piglet, but I do not think they ever did. Seems like WCK was involved in the talk.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Wildcat on September 28, 2009, 07:34:06 AM
There was some talk about possibly doing a whole piglet, but I do not think they ever did. Seems like WCK was involved in the talk.

Yup... I remember it being WCK as well. If I remember correctly he did do one. I'll see if I can come up with the thread.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Hopefull Romantic

Thank Mr. Walleye for the link. I thought that was impossible to accomplish.

A monumental endeavour WCK.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

I remember that. I'm trying to figure out why that never made it to the recipe site?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Hab, I have read that post twice now and the same thing that the Bradley forum has today was present then. The willingness to help, imput from a bunch of different people and someone with the fire in them to go do it. That was a great post. I will read again someday.   CRG

Johnno

Thanks all - I will post photos when I give it a go!
Cheers
John