• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Blackened Dry-Aged Ribeye Steak

Started by monty, September 26, 2009, 03:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Next time you blacken a steak, pick you up a can of spam....that is good

Ka Honu

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 27, 2009, 08:16:05 AM... The cast iron griddle will produce nice grill marks, but cause it to come out more like it was cooked direct on the gas grill. The steak isn't going to stick at all to a well seasoned cast iron pan so turning it should not be a problem.

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 27, 2009, 01:14:38 PM...If you use a cast iron....you almost have to dedicate a skillet to blackening cause of heating the skillet so hot that you cook the seasoning out of it.

Both good points.  A griddle is, however, by definition, flat.  Lodge has a version that is flat on one side with ridges on the other - a perfect solution.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 29, 2009, 08:38:01 AM
Both good points.  A griddle is, however, by definition, flat.  Lodge has a version that is flat on one side with ridges on the other - a perfect solution.

I looked at that very one at the farm store yesterday...  It's a big mutha.

classicrockgriller

I use a fish fryer that I change out the regulator and I use a 12'' cast iron flat skillet. It will get'r done.

Ka Honu

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 29, 2009, 08:38:01 AM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 27, 2009, 08:16:05 AM... The cast iron griddle will produce nice grill marks, but cause it to come out more like it was cooked direct on the gas grill. The steak isn't going to stick at all to a well seasoned cast iron pan so turning it should not be a problem.

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 27, 2009, 01:14:38 PM...If you use a cast iron....you almost have to dedicate a skillet to blackening cause of heating the skillet so hot that you cook the seasoning out of it.

Good catch Ka Honu. I should have said cast iron grill pan.
HawkeyeSmokes