Smoked Salmon Lox

Started by mikeradio, September 29, 2009, 08:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeradio

I made Salmon Lox over the weekend using Spyguy's recipe.  This is the best recipe that produces a incredible lox.
I want to share some pictures

All the supplies

WET Brine all mixed up

Dry Brine all mixed up

Salmon all cut up

After 8 hours in the Dry brine, look at all the moisture it pulled out of the salmon

Salmon after the Dry Brine  look at the colour

Into the Wet brine for 8 hours

Freshening the Salmon after the wet Brine

Drying the Salmon

In the cold smoker for 3 hours

The finished product

squirtthecat

Nice!!

How is your exhaust vent/fan working out?

Mr Walleye

That looks absolutely fantastic Mike!  :P  :P  :P

Wow!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ArnieM

That looks great Mike.  Thanks for all of the pictures.

Yeah, I want to get an update on your exhaust fan too.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikeradio

Hey Squirtthecat

The fan is working great, even turning down the fan speed I still had to raise the coupler up off the smoker by a 1/4" to allow it to draw some room air instead of all the air from the smoker.  Someone did suggest that or drilling some holes in it.  No more problem with moisture. :) :) :)

Mike

iceman

Looks fantastic Mike. Thanks for sharing the pics. I have a bunch of reds from the copper river left over sooooo. Lox it is.  :P :)

ArnieM

I have GOT to do that!  Every now an then we get some fresh wild caught "Alaskan" salmon.  I've planked it, poached it and grilled it.  I have simply got to try the Lox.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Mike,
That is excellent!  Thanks for the pics.  I have got to do that and I have 4-5 whole sockeye salmon fillets just laying around in the freezer waiting for something like that.

Thanks again.

KyNola

Caribou

Looks fantastic Mike!
Great pics,too
Carolyn

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking lox there Mike, making me hungry. Glad to hear that you have the exhaust fan working good to.
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Looking good, I realy like the colour.

I was wondering how your fan was working, glad it's working for you.

Quarlow

Hey mike good to here from a fellow B.C.er. I have to say that I have never been much for lox. But I will eat sushi with raw salmon on it, go figure ey. But those lox of yours look pretty damn good. So I think I will have to try it out. I lived near Prince George for 6 years and when the kids were born we decided we didn't want them growing up and being strangers to the relatives or we would probably still be there. I loved it up there.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey mike great job. Your lox looks alot better than in some of the delis I have been in.\

Hats off to you

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.