Heating element in smoker box

Started by Cut2SizeMetals, September 28, 2009, 08:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut2SizeMetals

I have had my smoker for 4 or 5 years, and after being outside, even covered, the heating element works only intermittently.  Is it easily replaceable?  I will call customer service, but figured the forum might have some experience doing this.  Thanks!

Andy
Need some stainless steel to customize your smoker, or metal for other projects? Check out Cut2SizeMetals.com for a complete selection of aluminum, stainless steel, brass, and copper.  You click it, we cut it and ship it to your door!

pensrock

I would tend to think, either it works or not. It would be odd for a heating element to work intermittently, IMHO. I would tend to lean more tward a loose connection or a faulty control board.

Cut2SizeMetals

Thanks for the reply.  I checked all the connection points.  It wasn't working for months, and then I went by it one day and noticed it was hot!  Glad I found it before something caught fire in the backyard.  But you're right, it's not really intermittent.  It stopped working for a while, starting working a few months later, and now doesn't work.  I am wondering if there is moisture somewhere that had to dry out completely in the summer, and now that we've had a lot of rain again, it's not working. 
Need some stainless steel to customize your smoker, or metal for other projects? Check out Cut2SizeMetals.com for a complete selection of aluminum, stainless steel, brass, and copper.  You click it, we cut it and ship it to your door!

classicrockgriller

Cut, you might try giving the control box a good cleaning and peeking to see if you see anything that may be loose and once you get her up and running, maybe bring the control box in after smoking.

Wildcat

Quote from: Cut2SizeMetals on September 28, 2009, 10:17:32 AM
It wasn't working for months, and then I went by it one day and noticed it was hot!  Glad I found it before something caught fire in the backyard.  

This sounds kind of scary. I would not recommend keeping it plugged in and turned on when not in use - even if it seems to be broken.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Kinda sounds lit you have some corrosion in one of the power cords, I have that happen with some of our trailer lights every now and then. Try cleaning the ends of all the power cords and put some dielectric grease on each plug.
Just a thought.

Cut2SizeMetals

I kind of let this thread go when I got busy, but wondered if anyone knows if Bradley will sell just the box / heating element.  My smoke generating unit is fine.

pensrock

I know you can buy replacement elements at Yard & Pool. http://www.yardandpool.com
He also has many other parts and supplies.