• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold weather use .....

Started by outdoorsfellar, September 28, 2009, 03:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

Ok, I'm about to order a smoker. With the upcoming weather changes soon to take place, I can't help but to think about what effect colder temps will have when using a smoker. I've seen where some have a brick wrapped in foil ( I assume to produce more heat for anytime of the year ) , as well as reading somewhere here where someone switched out the heating element & added a 900 watt element in. That sounds like a winner, but still, how practical ? I could have this in the garage as well during the worst part of winter, but still, it'll be a battle getting the heat built up I'm thinking. Any ideas ?

Wildcat

I live in Florida, but according to the northern friends posts, if you block any wind, it only takes longer to get up to temp. The brick only helps to maintain the heat more efficiently. I am sure that some of the northern members will be along shortly.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Well I'm not as far north as others but it still gets pretty dam cold in Nebraska and I use mine year round, as wildcat has stated keep the smoker out of the wind and it holds the temp very well once it gets there.

outdoorsfellar

Thanks for the quick replies. I certainly won't have any wind issues, so all the better  ;) Besides, if that guy in the commercial can trudge out in the snow & be happy ( though stupid for leaving that gal behind ), I shouldn't have a problem stepping out into my enclosed patio....lol

Caribou

Hi Outdoorfellar,
I have smoked in cold weather (high teens low 20's) and having the brick in the smoker really does help the smoker recover after you open the door to check on the food.
Protecting it from the wind as stated before makes a big difference too.
And if it gets really cold.....smoke cheese  ;D
Carolyn

OU812

Quote from: Caribou on September 28, 2009, 09:28:38 PM

And if it gets really cold.....smoke cheese  ;D
Carolyn

Good one  ;D

ArnieM

Hi outdoorsfellar,

I just got the OBS this summer and so haven't smoked in the cold yet so I can't speak for that.

I keep 2 bricks in the OBS on the lowest shelf, room permitting.  It really does help to hold the heat after opening the door.

Yes Carolyn, I intend to smoke more cheese.  My first (and last) batch came out good so I'm going for more.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caribou

Quote from: ArnieM on September 29, 2009, 07:58:20 AM
Hi outdoorsfellar,

I just got the OBS this summer and so haven't smoked in the cold yet so I can't speak for that.

I keep 2 bricks in the OBS on the lowest shelf, room permitting.  It really does help to hold the heat after opening the door.

Yes Carolyn, I intend to smoke more cheese.  My first (and last) batch came out good so I'm going for more.
Good Arnie!
I have my first batch vacuum sealed and in the fridge, can't wait to try it.  How many days did you wait?
Carolyn

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caribou on September 29, 2009, 01:59:27 PM...I have my first batch vacuum sealed and in the fridge, can't wait to try it.  How many days did you wait?

Patience, girl, patience!  Minimum 10 days (2-3 weeks or a month is better).  And remember to time your next load at least 2-3 weeks before you run out of this batch.

Caribou

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 29, 2009, 04:43:25 PM
Quote from: Caribou on September 29, 2009, 01:59:27 PM...I have my first batch vacuum sealed and in the fridge, can't wait to try it.  How many days did you wait?

Patience, girl, patience!  Minimum 10 days (2-3 weeks or a month is better).  And remember to time your next load at least 2-3 weeks before you run out of this batch.
I know, you're right  :'(
Will it hurt it if I take it now and then and stare at the vacuum sealed bag?
Maybe talk to it, too?  :D
Carolyn

ArnieM

Quote from: Caribou on September 29, 2009, 07:24:46 PM
Will it hurt it if I take it now and then and stare at the vacuum sealed bag?
Maybe talk to it, too?  :D
Carolyn
This is a difficult time Carolyn.  Neither talking to them or putting them under your pillow will help.  You might want to send some to Ka Honu.  He always seems to be willing to help out on these exercises.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on September 29, 2009, 07:56:26 PM... You might want to send some to Ka Honu.  He always seems to be willing to help out on these exercises. [/color]

It's a sacrifice I gladly make.

Huntnfreak

Cheese?!  Yet another thing I never thought about smoking!  My Bradley and my wallet can't keep up with all these ideas!  I've already figured out I need another refrigerator to hold everything while it is in brine!  That is one good thing about living in Minnesota and having a porch.  I have an extra fridge for 5 months out of the year!

Caribou

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 29, 2009, 08:17:06 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on September 29, 2009, 07:56:26 PM... You might want to send some to Ka Honu.  He always seems to be willing to help out on these exercises. [/color]

It's a sacrifice I gladly make.
Keep in mine it is my first batch Ka Hona  :D
It may not be a homenrun this first time around.
Carolyn

Ka Honu

That's why it's called a "sacrifice."  Just kidding - cheese and smoke has to be good (and if the bisquette advance worked there are no other moving parts to make it difficult)