brisket questions

Started by moses, September 29, 2009, 04:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moses

i have a whole brisket straight off the cow. the cow was butcherd saturday. i want to start the smoke friday or saturday when should i add the rub? and is cooking it a week of the cow to soon should i let it sit in the fridge another week or two?

Wildcat

I am by no means an expert, but IMHO beef is better after some aging. When you do get ready to smoke/cook, apply rub the day before.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

HawkeyeSmokes

I would rub it down at least the night before smoking. As far as aging it, I don't think I would go over 10 days at home unless it has been vacuum sealed.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Fresh brisket, moses you have to take pics of that and post them.   CRG

OU812

Most of the beef we eat has ben aged for 2 weeks at about 38 F be for its even cut off the side.

Keep us posted how the FRESH beef turns out.

I my self dont put a rub on my brisket, just a little slat, pepper, onion and garlic powder when I pull it out of the fridge and when it quits sweating I through that bad boy in the smoker. But to each there own.

Wildcat

Quote from: OU812 on September 29, 2009, 04:51:09 PM
I my self dont put a rub on my brisket, just a little slat, pepper, onion and garlic powder when I pull it out of the fridge and when it quits sweating I through that bad boy in the smoker. But to each there own.

Same here. I apply olive oil then salt, pepper, garlic and onion.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

moses

yeah i havent even seen it yet!!! ive been looking every where for brisket here in CNY and all i can find is cornbeef and flats that are trimmed like a supermodel. long story short my sister and brother inlaw had a cow butchered last weekend and they saved the brisket for me to smoke!! my sister says the thing takes up the whole bottom of her fridge. obviusly im going to have to trim to fit the smoker. another question is im planning on taking to a IT of 190F but the flat and thinner parts are going to get there alot faster then the point so how do i work all that out?

pensrock

Put the thicker part, the point on the middle shelf and the flat on the next shelf up. That should help even out the cooking some.

classicrockgriller

You may have to pull one section before the other.   CRG

OU812

I like to separate the point from the flat and pull the flat when it hits 180 F and the point when it hits 220 F

Slice the flat and pull the point.

darobins

Just used my Bradley for the first and successfully smoked a small turkey breast....I am planning to smoke a brisket and would like to smoke ribs along with the brisket.  A couple questions:

Can I smoke the brisket and ribs together or should I put the brisket in first for a few hours?

OU812

The brisket will take about 18 hr and the ribs about 6 hr.

Do you want them done at the same time, or do you want to smoke them together and make the most of the smoke time?

pensrock

It will take a lot longer to do the brisket. Its fine to do both together but put the brisket in long before the ribs. Depending on how big the brisket is, you can expect 10-16 hours to cook it. Ribs about 4-6 hours.

darobins

Thanks - the brisket is small only 6 lbs, - I guess I'm still getting use to cooking things for such a long time.

deaphax09

I will be cooking a brisket this weekend. H ow long do you cook and what rubs do you use?