Simple and quick chicken dinner

Started by ArnieM, September 30, 2009, 08:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Nothing at all fancy or ground-breaking here, but it came out good (IMHO).

Chicken thighs, fried potatoes with onions and brussel sprouts (more on these later).

Preheat the grill and stabilize at about 400 F.  Sprinkle the chicken thighs, skin on, both sides, with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, cumin and, of course, chipotle powder.

Cut up a few white potatoes, not the waxy type, and preheat a cast iron skillet with a little OO or vegetable oil.

Rub the grill racks with a little oil and put the chicken on, skin side down.  Add the potatoes to the skillet and don't stir for a few minutes.  They should both take about 30-40 minutes.

The thighs, flipped after about 15 minutes.

The potatoes, on their way, in a medium-hot skillet.

Put some water, salt and about 2 TBS rice vinegar into a pot and bring it to a boil.  Add the sprouts and cover.

Put the onions into the potatoes at about the 25-30 minute mark,

Chop up a couple cloves of garlic and add to the potatoes after the onion is beginning to cook down.  Add salt and pepper at this point.  Keep tossing.

When the sprouts are fork-tender, drain them, leaving them in the pot.  Add about 1 TBS butter and a sprinkle of rice vinegar.  Adjust this depending on how many sprouts you have.  I only had 10.  Toss 'em around until coated in the butter.

Plate the potatoes with the chicken thighs on top.

Put the sprouts in a separate bowl.

Brussel sprouts:  Some people like them, some hate them.  Old sprouts can be real nasty.  Get the freshest sprouts possible and cook them.  Don't leave 'em in the fridge for a week or two.  >:(  Remove the drier outer leaves and X-score the stem prior to cooking.  I've found the vinegar takes some of the bitterness out.

I hope someone finds this useful.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Mr Walleye

Mite be simple Arnie but it looks delicious!  ;)

I love Brussel sprouts!

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ArnieM

Thanks Mike.  Fall is a good time of year to get some fresher sprouts around here.  I'll have to try some other recipes.
-- Arnie

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

What would I do for a pound of sprouts?

Just about any thing. I love them so much but we do not get them here very often. The meal looks great.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

I wish I could ship some to you HR, but I doubt if customs would go for it.  :-[
-- Arnie

OU812

Might be simple but sure looks good. I cook taters like that all the time and can make a meal out of just the taters, aint never had brussel sprouts though.

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on September 30, 2009, 03:28:40 PM
Might be simple but sure looks good. I cook taters like that all the time and can make a meal out of just the taters, aint never had brussel sprouts though.

They are like a mini-cabbage...     If you don't like cabbage, these might not be for you.

I've cooked some in a steamer bag w/ some Bacon Salt, and they were quite tasty.  But I've had others that were too bitter to eat..

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 30, 2009, 03:36:36 PM
Quote from: OU812 on September 30, 2009, 03:28:40 PM

They are like a mini-cabbage...     If you don't like cabbage, these might not be for you.

I've cooked some in a steamer bag w/ some Bacon Salt, and they were quite tasty.  But I've had others that were too bitter to eat..

A little salt and pepper and I can eat cabbage like taters. I love cabbage rolls to and who can have corned beef with some steamed cabbage.

squirtthecat

Well, you should try these little guys, then!

Butter and bacon fat helps as well..   (but, when doesn't it???)

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 30, 2009, 03:51:05 PM

Well, you should try these little guys, then!

Butter and bacon fat helps as well..   (but, when doesn't it???)

Will do. Thanks

ArnieM

Well, as I said, the sprouts have to be fresh - nice and green looking, not wrinkly and dry.  If you like corn on the cob, you know you don't buy it fresh picked and then let it sit around for a week or so. 

I was out of bacon; it wrapped up all of my ABTs but it would have been good.  I also do like a splash of rice or apple cider vinegar on 'em.
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on September 30, 2009, 11:11:37 AM
I wish I could ship some to you HR, but I doubt if customs would go for it.  :-[

Thanks Atnie. I know you would and I am pretty sure customes would go crazy over here trying to find out how cabbage got that small.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks and sounds great Arnie. And thanks for that tip about scoring the brussels sprouts, that was a new one to me and have to try it out!
HawkeyeSmokes