New Salmon Smoker

Started by commonsense, October 04, 2009, 06:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonsense

Hello Gentleman,

I am doing my first salmon smoke, nothing big just a few pounds to see if it turns out.

How long do you actually use smoke, for a full 6 hours?

Thank you.

Hopefull Romantic

Are you doing hot or cold smoke.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

commonsense

Tenpoint5

Someone that smokes a lot more fish than I do will be along shortly. I would say it depends on how much smoke flavor you want! I wouldnt smoke more than 1-2 hours myself.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with 10.5 completely. 2-3hours of smoke / cook time should be more than enough.

There is another way to smoke the salmon if you had a PID. You would start low on temp and ramp up a couple of times from there and even with that it would not be 6 hours.

Good luck

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

monty

in the infamous Kummok salmon recipe he notes the following:

"Others that have used this recipe have applied smoke from 1.5-5 hours, depending on personal preferences. Most smokers are using 1.5-2 hours of smoke."

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

dbrown1

Kummok

Don't know how I got "infamous" (unless Monty's heard about how I love to exchange sheet metal with my FF union!) but I've settled on around 3.5 hours of smoke anymore, for the Kings, Reds, Chum in the size I process. (Silvers a skootch less cuz they're so danged dry) It's been a while since I wrote that recipe and, as I expect everyone to do, I've since modified it for my own personal taste....