• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My OBS has arrived !

Started by outdoorsfellar, October 01, 2009, 02:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on October 01, 2009, 06:47:03 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 01, 2009, 06:25:17 PM
T then cook at 220 until an IT of 140 to 145 is reached.

Thanks for the quick reply. These forums here are the most lively off all I belong to !  ;D     So I take it that the IT of 140 -5  in the loin is the end result ? I dunno why, but I keep thinking it would take longer.

Yes, the IT of 140 to 145 is when you want to pull it, then rest it. Time is only a guess. Once you do the same thing a few times, you can narrow it down, but it's still low and slow. But it's all good! And yes, this is a very active forum with a lot of great people willing to help.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

outdoorsfellar

And with that, thanks !   ;)

Caneyscud

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on October 01, 2009, 06:47:03 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 01, 2009, 06:25:17 PM
T then cook at 220 until an IT of 140 to 145 is reached.

Thanks for the quick reply. These forums here are the most lively off all I belong to !  ;D     So I take it that the IT of 140 -5  in the loin is the end result ? I dunno why, but I keep thinking it would take longer.

The reason for low and slow is to cook tough meat at the proper "slow" rate so that the fats and collagen break down, melt, gel before the meat fibers themselves get overdone and dry out.  Well also to add smoke flavor - okay!  A pork loin is tender enough already that a long cook is not necessary to get it tender - so all you have to do is to smoke it for flavor while cooking it to a "proper/safe" temperature.  The problem with pork loins, is that they are so lean, that sometimes they dry out before they are "done".  The FDA recommends an internal  temp of 165  for safety.  However, many, including myself, have successfully used a lower IT.  Many, in an attempt to avoid drying out use several methods including wrapping in bacon, moppin/sopping, brining, injecting, etc... with success.   Using either a remote thermometer or an instant read thermometer is highly important when smoking a loin. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"