1st brisket smoke

Started by Ben, February 26, 2005, 12:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Just put my first two briskets on the BS. All looks well, smoker temp is rising back to 200 and the special blend is smoking away!! Will keep you posted

Ben

Well, I smoked the brisket for 4 1/2 hours, the temp of the brisket was about 140 when the smoke died. That was two hours ago (have been cooking for 6 hours @ 200 degrees). The temp of the brisket has been stuck at about 155 for at least 30 mins now... I'm getting a little concerned!!!!!

Ben

It is now hour 9, my brisket temps have been moving along nicely, I was worried for nothing. One brisket is @ 170 and the other at 165. I plan to take them out at 185 and FTC for 1 -2 hours. Will post results

owrstrich

ben...

keep it at 200deg to 210deg and be patient until you reach your desired internal temp...

i have had briskets stall for many hours between 160deg and 180deg internal...

take a look at this thread... it has all the info... also do a brisket search and you will find threads about connective tissue and stuff like that...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1140

did i mention ftc really freaks me out...

more without prejudice later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Ben

briskets are done!! took 13 hours and worth every minute. Tender and juicy. I FTC'd for 1 hour - will do it for at least two next time.

JJC

Great stuff, Ben!  The patience with the BS really pays off.  Glad Owstrich was able to clue you in on the "stall time".  I also agree with your decision to FTC for at least two hours next time no matter how good it turned out this time.  Of course, if you have company waiting and you've run out of appetizers . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

FLOSS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Great stuff, Ben!  The patience with the BS really pays off.  Glad Owstrich was able to clue you in on the "stall time".  I also agree with your decision to FTC for at least two hours next time no matter how good it turned out this time.  Of course, if you have company waiting and you've run out of appetizers . . . [;)]

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY FTC ?

SmokinMoe

Wrap it in foil, wrap the brisket that is in the foil in a dry towel and then put it in a cooler (no ice) and put towels over it to keep it warm in the cooler.  This method allows the meat to continue to cook and redistribute the juices so that when you open it, it is delicious.  It really does make a difference.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

MallardWacker

Moe has it correct, but try this when you FTC, BigSmoker got me on this...put a chug of Apple juice in with the foil before you wrap it up.  A chug equals about 1/3-1/4 cup or so...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

johnintx1

That FTC and apple juice really works wonders. I tried it on my frist brisket,and will always do it that way from now on.
2hrs or more in the cooler, with the FTC thing.
Wonderfull!!!

Smoke on!!