Homemade Salsa Verde also known as Tomatilla Sauce

Started by classicrockgriller, September 22, 2009, 10:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

This is a great Salsa Verde recipe that is easily adjustable.

The Players for this party are:

2 cups of water
1 1/2 lbs of Tomatillas (preferably small ones)
1 Large Jalapeno (cut off stem without cutting into the pepper, then make 4 slices length wise without
  cutting it up. Leave it whole)
1 Large yellow Onion (quartered)
1 Large Red Tomato (either 1/4 or make slices in it like the jalapeno)
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes (knorr brand)
3 Large Garlic Cloves
1/2 to 1 Whole Bunch of Cilantro
Salt (optional)
Pepper (to taste)

Pour the water in a large stock pot and heat to High.
Add the chicken bouillon and bring to a boil.
If you are going to use cilantro cubes add it with the chicken bouillon.
Then everybody in the pool except Garlic, Cilantro, Salt, Pepper
When it comes back to a boil reduce the heat and simmer till the Tomatillas
and Tomato's are soft.
Turn off heat and set aside to cool.

The smell is fantastic while this is cooking ! !
After it has cooled, take a slotted spoon and start putting about 1/2 of mixture into a blender or food
processor. Add the Cilantro and Garlic. Finish spooning the rest of mixture in the blender. Add your pepper
(I use about 1/2 ts)

Pulse until you can see the cilantro is kinda small and give it a taste test. If it needs any thing add it now.
Pour in some of your stock water to make two quarts. Blend on high for 15 to 20 seconds. Pour in to two
quart jars and let cool before sealing.

OK #1 Try not to add any more water to your stock. You are going to add it to your blended mixture and you
want it as concentrated as possible. #2 The chicken bouillon is salty so take a taste test before you add salt.
#3 If you use the cilantro cubes, start with a 1/4 to 1/2 bunch of cilantro. Remember you can always add more
and pulse blender again. #4 Decide what blender you are going to use and make a mark on the two quart line
so you know how much stock to add to get to the two quarts it makes. #5 Have your jars ready so that after
your last blend you can pour right in to the jars. #6 You will need to turn the tomatilla's while they are simmering
because of the low volume of stock water.

The Verde mix will stay good for quite a while. I have never had any go bad in the fridge. It is great warm with
chips, fried eggs in Verde, or your smoked pull pork in a flour tortilla. Enjoy and ask if you have a question.

Hopefull Romantic

Sounds good CRG, I think I am going to try it but leav the cilantro out... not a big fan

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

Emailing recipe to myself, we love homemade salsa. We usualy make it with just red maters. Will have to try it with the tomatillos. Thanks for the recipe.
Mike

nickld

Looks great CRG!  There's a couple of "volunteer" tomatillo plants growing here and I want to use them before the frosts. I'm going to have to try your recipe out. Please forgive me if I add a habanero or two! You could pour that right into a batch of chile verde...

classicrockgriller

Habs sound great. Maybe smoke them first.that would be different

ArnieM

That looks great CRG.  I'm bookmarking this thread.

I've never seen cilantro cubes, just chicken, beef and vegetable.   :(  Maybe I'm shopping at the wrong markets.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

AM, they are made by knorr and they have several kind: cilantro chipolte lemon/garlic and a cpl more

ArnieM

Thanks CRG.  Now that I know there is such a thing, I'll try shopping in some of the smaller more ethnic stores.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

I did these with smoke and made a new post in recipe develop or what ever it is, and it is reallllly good.   CRG