Salmon and Pellicule

Started by gateso, October 05, 2009, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gateso

Next thing on my smoke list is Kummock's salmon. Got my trusty PID to guide me.
Living in Florida we do not catch Salmon here, so it will be a couple of pounds or so from the local store (Publix). Hopefully not farm raised but sometimes that's all we can get here without paying an arm and a leg. My pellicule question is. How long do I leave the Salmon out after brining for the pellicule to form ? I am bit concerned about leaving it out of the fridge for too long without it going bad. Will it form a pellicule in the fridge or will leaving it out with the ceiling fan on be safe and be sufficient. I would appreciate any guidance you can give me.
Thanks y'all,
Brian

FLBentRider

I'm in Florida - I do my drying in the fridge.

It takes longer since it's usually moister in there.

Having said that, with the amount of salt in the brine it should be good under a fan for a while.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Gateso, I have done salmon few times and I live in Jordan where it was hot the first three or four times I smoked them.

As FLB said, it should be okay for at least 2 - 3 hours under an oscillating fan.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

When forming the pellicle, 2 hr with a fan blowing gently on the racks works for me. By gently I mean you should be able to keep a lighter lit next to the racks.
My drying time happens in the basement, it's always cool down there.

You want it shiny and tacky.

RossP

I also do most of my dying in the fridge. I just find it
handier to dry in the fridge over night and smoke in
the morning before leaving for work at noon. I like
to save the weekends for fishing and geocaching.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen