Smoked Jalapenos/Habs

Started by NePaSmoKer, October 13, 2009, 02:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Got some jalapenos and habanero smoking right now. Got the messy wood smoke going.

nepas

OU812

I can see doing the Habs whole but the Jalapenos ?
Do you put a slice in them to let some moisture out or not ?

pensrock

I normally slice all pepper in half when smoking, not sure if its necessary but it works. Your habs do not look fully ripe yet. I picked all the ripe peppers I have today, they are calling for a killing frost/freeze tonight. I we luck out I still have a lot of peppers on the plants that are still green.

You making powder out of the penos/habs?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on October 13, 2009, 04:05:43 PM
I normally slice all pepper in half when smoking, not sure if its necessary but it works. Your habs do not look fully ripe yet. I picked all the ripe peppers I have today, they are calling for a killing frost/freeze tonight. I we luck out I still have a lot of peppers on the plants that are still green.

You making powder out of the penos/habs?

Yeah maybe i should get them. I got em in the dehydrator now for 23 hrs. The habs were given to me green. Should i take em out and let em get red?

Going to grind em.

nepas

pensrock

Depends on what kind of habs they are. Some turn orange, some red, some brown and now some are even white. LOL

If you already started smoking them, I would let em go. Not sure what they will taste like not being ripe, but its worth a try.

pensrock

Heres some of the ripe/ripening Bhuts and Nagas. I had to pick them yesterday cause they were calling for a killing frost/freeze. Now they are forcasting a possible heavy wet snow for Fri or Sat.

NePaSmoKer

Those look nice Greg

I did go out and cut the peppers, gave em more smoke and they are drying now.

Have you had any luck growing peppers in the house in pots?

nepas

pensrock

QuoteHave you had any luck growing peppers in the house in pots?

I have never tried it cause the plants get pretty big so it takes a good sized pot to keep them in. But if you have the room and enough light, it should work just fine. Peppers do not need bees to pollinate, normally the wind move them around enough to take care of that. So if they flower in the house you may have to give them a little shake now and then.
I would love to be able to bring in the Naga, Bhut and Hab plants this year. They are in full bloom and loaded with green peppers. I may put them in the garage near a small window but will never have the time to get all the peppers coming on. I have orange and chocolate habs growing and looking goos but not one ripe pepper yet.

I always cut my peppers in half to smoke cause I feel the inside of the pepper grab the smoke better and also they dry much faster.