casing separating from sausage

Started by watchdog56, October 06, 2009, 07:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

What would cause the collagen casing to separate from deer sticks?  I did these about 3 weeks ago using the Cabela's smokehouse sausage kits and they were fine so I put some in freezer in vac. bags. Pulled out of freezer last weekend and it seems like the casing on some of the sticks is separating. I cooled the sticks overnight in frig before putting in vac. bags. I took internal temp to 150 degrees when I smoked them.

pensrock

I have never frozen them before so its only a guess. I think there must be too much moisture still in the sticks, but like I said its only a guess. I'm sure others will have a better idea than I do.

Mr Walleye

Watchdog56

I have had this happen in the past and in my opinion I felt I didn't let them "bloom" long enough. My thought was the moisture content was still too high when they were packaged. I usually allow my sausage to bloom for at least 2 hours or more which seems to help.

Just my 2 cents...

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

watchdog56

Well I forgot to put the water in the recipe which it called for so they were a little dry and mushy from the beginning if that makes sense. I think I ground them to much using a fine plate. Also one batch, I did put regular(not high temp) pepper cheese in and that is the one I am noticing it the most on.

Caribou

Quote from: watchdog56 on October 06, 2009, 09:46:21 AM
Well I forgot to put the water in the recipe which it called for so they were a little dry and mushy from the beginning if that makes sense. I think I ground them to much using a fine plate. Also one batch, I did put regular(not high temp) pepper cheese in and that is the one I am noticing it the most on.
This is just a guess but maybe the oils given off from the cheese melting got between the sausage and the casings and prevented them from melding.
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Actually My guess would be that after smoking and bring to an IT of 150 you didn't shock them with Ice Water and bring the temp down to the 100* mark. Thus the IT continued to climb some before it started to come down during the 2 hour rest in the fridge. The sausage either fatted out and will be crumbly or continued to cook and shrink while the casing started cooling first and stopped the shrinking process. Hope that makes sense. But I would shock in cold water to stop the cooking process, THEN hang to bloom before cooling down completely in the fridge for the 2 hours.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

watchdog56

Mr Walleye

Quote from: watchdog56 on October 06, 2009, 06:19:25 PM
what does blooming mean?

It's when you favorite flower.... Just kidding'!  :D

Once you have attained the the correct IT you need to give the sausage a cold shower to stop the cooking process and eliminate any carry over. Next you dry off the sausage and hang it at room temperature to bloom. The blooming period allows the casings to properly dry and also allow the final mahogany color to form. According to Rytek's book the typical bloom time is 2 to 3 hours.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 06, 2009, 06:59:51 PM
It's when you favorite flower.... Just kidding'!  :D

Mike

Tell me more about the FLOWERS Uncle Mike, I like Flowers ::) ::) ::) ::) :D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!