• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Looking for a recipe

Started by telman, October 06, 2009, 01:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

telman

Hi All,

I am looking for a recipe which will give similar results as HM Sweet & Spicy. I am trying to get a away from pre-packaged stuff, and experiment a little. I have quite a bit spice collection already. Also purchased curing salt. I think I am ready  at this point.

Thank you in advance.

Telman

Tenpoint5

The Jerky Guru should be here shortly and answer that one. If Nepas doesn't have one your SOL
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

Hi Telman,
10.5 is right, Nepas will have something with to start on.
I'm interested in what he suggests, too.
Carolyn

FLBentRider

I would do some reading. There are a couple of great books on the subject.

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas

I have read the first, the second not yet.

There are lots of recipes in them, and do a great job of explaining why sausage (and cured meat) is the way it is today and how we got here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

I just glanced through the Recipe Site and did not see ANY jerky there. Perhaps I overlooked it. This is kind of a surprise.

NePas - Perhaps you would not mind providing Habs with a couple of your jerky recipes to post. I know you have posted a couple on this forum.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: telman on October 06, 2009, 01:17:01 PM
Hi All,

I am looking for a recipe which will give similar results as HM Sweet & Spicy. I am trying to get a away from pre-packaged stuff, and experiment a little. I have quite a bit spice collection already. Also purchased curing salt. I think I am ready  at this point.

Thank you in advance.

Telman

Telman

Here is one for ya.

5lbs meat strips (any type cut you like)
4 T non-iodized salt
1 t cure #1
2 t cayenne pepper  If you want hotter double the, cayenne, chili pepper and chili powder.
2 t crushed chili pepper
2 t chili powder
2 t ground mustard (or seeds)
5 Cups corn syrup

Mix all the above together in a large bowl (except meat) mix very good and allow to set for 30 mins. Remix and then add meat strips. Use a glass or plastic bowl cover and put in fridge for 8 to 10 hrs. Stir this on the 5 hr mark if you can.

Next day do not rinse the strips, They will be sticky. Smoke at 150* with 1 hour 20 mins of smoke. The smoke will only get into the sweetness to a certain point, Adding a longer smoke will make the jerky taste like creosote. Bump heat to 170* being carefull not to burn the sugar on the meat. Being this has allot of corn syrup in it the drying time can take anywhere from 6 to 24 hrs depending on how you like the jerky.  This recipe can also be done in a dehydrator at a temp of 150* until you are satisfied with the doneness.

Hope this helps, feel free to tweak the recipe as you like it.

nepas

deb415611

nickld

Telman

Here is one for ya.

4 T non-iodized salt
1 t cure #1
2 t cayenne pepper  If you want hotter double the, cayenne, chili pepper and chili powder.
2 t crushed chili pepper
2 t chili powder
5 Cups corn syrup

Mix all the above together in a large bowl (except meat) mix very good and allow to set for 30 mins. Remix and then add meat strips. Use a glass or plastic bowl cover and put in fridge for 8 to 10 hrs. Stir this on the 5 hr mark if you can.

Next day do not rinse the strips, They will be sticky. Smoke at 150* with 1 hour 20 mins of smoke. The smoke will only get into the sweetness to a certain point, Adding a longer smoke will make the jerky taste like creosote. Bump heat to 170* being carefull not to burn the sugar on the meat. Being this has allot of corn syrup in it the drying time can take anywhere from 6 to 24 hrs depending on how you like the jerky.  This recipe can also be done in a dehydrator at a temp of 150* until you are satisfied with the doneness.

nepas
[/quote]

Interesting recipe Nepas. 5 cups of corn syrup? Hmmm... Seems like a lot but I've always trusted your knowledge and experience.

I still have never used cure in my jerky but I would like to ship some to my friends in California. Think I will use cure in my next batch. I'm wondering how much that might change the taste.

Also I'm thinking of using liquid smoke and straight to the dehydrator.

Still, sounds like a recipe I would like to play around with!   ;)

~Nick

telman

Thanks Nepas, Sorry I should have been more clear. I will be using recipe for the snack stacks.

NePaSmoKer

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: nickld on October 06, 2009, 07:25:27 PM
Telman

Here is one for ya.

4 T non-iodized salt
1 t cure #1
2 t crushed chili pepper
2 t chili powder
5 Cups corn syrup

nepas

Interesting recipe Nepas. 5 cups of corn syrup? Hmmm... Seems like a lot but I've always trusted your knowledge and experience.

I still have never used cure in my jerky but I would like to ship some to my friends in California. Think I will use cure in my next batch. I'm wondering how much that might change the taste.

Also I'm thinking of using liquid smoke and straight to the dehydrator.

Still, sounds like a recipe I would like to play around with!   ;)

~Nick

[/quote]

Yeah why not use liq smoke if your going to dehydrator it, It will work. If the corn syrup is too much just start with 1 cup, taste the marinade and see how you like it.

nepas

telman

Thanks Nepas, I am going to give a try for sure. I will start with one cup as you suggested.