New Casings from Cabelas??

Started by smokeitall, October 09, 2009, 06:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

I was at Cabelas tonight picking us some stuff for a buddy and ran across these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0072754519166a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=hog+casing&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D:hasJS=+&N=0&_D:sort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I have never seen these before at Cabelas.  Has anyone used them?  It says 20-25 lbs but there is a lot in there, I am guessing it might make more.  I am going to make 5 lbs of brats this weekend.  I will let you guys know how they are if you want.
SIA

Up In Smoke

SIA,
I would appreciate a report when you get around to making them.
i haven't started the sausage thing yet but i am getting closer.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

smokeitall

Don't start, its too addictive....you'll be dreaming of the sausage that your making.  ;D ;D

It sure is a lot of fun, especially during deer season.  I will take some pic's of the brats also.  I am thinking of putting some fresh peno in there also.  So it would be mushroom peno asiago brats... might be good, I hope  :)
SIA

Tenpoint5

Yeah Smokeitall Thinking about making sausages here as well. You have any pointers?

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Habanero Smoker

Gander Mt. sells them or use to sell them, but I've never used them. Once open they have a short self life, but I guess you can always pack them in salt. They seem to becoming more popular lately, because I was on the Sausage Maker site and they had them, but theirs were package preflushed and pretubed. No unraveling, just soak and slip them over the stuffing tube. Of course there is a price for such convenience.

Pretube Casing
Pretub Casings Demo

Depending on the size of the casing, and how tightly you pack your sausage; I find that for 5 pounds of sausage (well really 6 pounds after ingredients are added to the ground meat); it taks about 10 feet of 32 - 35 mm casings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caribou

I have never seen those at our Cabela's.  I have purchased the Eastman Outdoors hog and sheep casings there and the collagen Cabelas brand casings.  All have worked great.
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Yeah i have 3 packs my neighbor picked up for me. Have not had a chance to use them yet.

nepas

smokeitall

Hey Caribou I have never seen them there before either and I am there almost every week or two.  I usually get the Eastman Outdoors also or BassPro Shop brand.  I will try them tonight or tomorrow morning.  Going to make some jerky also so should be a good weekend.

Caribou

Quote from: smokeitall on October 10, 2009, 10:30:10 AM
Hey Caribou I have never seen them there before either and I am there almost every week or two.  I usually get the Eastman Outdoors also or BassPro Shop brand.  I will try them tonight or tomorrow morning.  Going to make some jerky also so should be a good weekend.
Hi SIA,
I'm going to have to check it out next time I go to Cabelas.  The Eastman ones I bought were earlier this year, maybe they are changing suppliers.
Smoking some jerky sounds like a good idea!  :)
Carolyn

pensrock

QuoteYeah i have 3 packs my neighbor picked up for me. Have not had a chance to use them yet.

And yet ANOTHER FREEBIE!!!!  ;D ;D

BigJohnT

Quote from: smokeitall on October 09, 2009, 06:38:09 PM
Don't start, its too addictive....you'll be dreaming of the sausage that your making.  ;D ;D

It sure is a lot of fun, especially during deer season.  I will take some pic's of the brats also.  I am thinking of putting some fresh peno in there also.  So it would be mushroom peno asiago brats... might be good, I hope  :)
SIA

Some of that better find it's way south  ;D

JT

smokeitall

I suppose you want me to leave the shroom out for you too????

BigJohnT

Quote from: smokeitall on October 10, 2009, 10:30:10 AM

Mmmm, jerky... did the recipe link work?

JT

BigJohnT

Quote from: smokeitall on October 10, 2009, 05:48:50 PM
I suppose you want me to leave the shroom out for you too????

Na, I'll never taste it anyway if it is cut up into bits...

JT