New Orleans style BBQ shrimp

Started by KyNola, October 11, 2009, 11:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 12, 2009, 01:42:05 PM
One thing that Ka Hona pointed out is that the liquid is from the oils of these spices which does make it more powerful, the crab boil bags are a seasoning for the crayfish, shrimp, crabs, potatoes, corn........somebody stop me, I'll be boiling shrimp in a minute.

Calm down CRG, I know the symptoms. Just take two Jack Daniels and call me in the morning.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

HR,
In the market where you live that sells American food products, do you have access to any spice rubs that would be New Orleans influenced?  Emeril Lagasse has a whole line of them as do several other companies.  If you have access to something like that, put a half tbsp of your favorite cajun rub in the saute pan with all of the other ingredients when making the sauce to throw over the shrimp prior to cooking them.  Come to think of it, I have Emeril's bayou blast dry rub recipe at home.  I'll PM you with it when I find it.  It will work just fine! 

I'm with CRG, I would pass on the one on Ebay.

KyNola 

Hopefull Romantic

Thank Larry I be looking forward to your PM.

No I have bben  to that supermarket today and I am pretty sure they dont have what you are refering to.

I have already passed on the ebay stuff

HR

classicrockgriller

Ingredients :

2 1/2 tbl Paprika
2 tbl Salt
2 tbl Garlic powder
1 tbl Black pepper
1 tbl Onion powder
1 tbl Cayenne powder
1 tbl Oregano dried
1 tbl Thyme dried

Caneyscud

or go to the Food Network website and look up some of Emiril's recipes.  They usually contain a recipe for his Essence - which is essentially a cajun spice mix. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

The ingredients I posted are to his Bayou Blast

KyNola

CRG has it for you.  That's the recipe out of Emeril's first book.  His second book has the same recipe but with different quantities of the exact same ingredients.  No new ingredients.  Emeril is just like all the rest of those guys.  Will put "the" recipe out there but leave out an ingredient or two of the commercial blend.  If you give it away, why would anyone buy it in the store?  This is a very good cajun spice blend in my opinion.

Thanks CRG!

KyNola 

classicrockgriller

Larry, I think we need to finialize this for Hady so he won't get crazy trying to do everything that has been posted.  IMO:

If I did not have access to the liquid crab boil: 1. "I" would make the bayou blast. 2. de-hull the shrimp and simmer the hull's in a "small amount of water"
and add some blast to it. Season your shrimp like KN has posted then take your 2 tablespoons of liquids out of the shrimp stock you made.

I think you would be good to go.  Ky Nola?

KyNola

CRG,
I think that will work. It's as close as we can get and should knock it out. 

HR, from 3 different States to you our friend.  Enjoy.

KyNola

Ka Honu

I agree with both KyNola & CRG with one minor exception.  It may be just a personal preference but I almost always find Emeril's rub recipes too salty so I start with half (or less) of the prescribed amount and adjust if necessary.

classicrockgriller

Ka Honu is once again a wish ole turtle. You will gain salt from the shrimp stock. You make want to star vwith no salt, then add as needed

Hopefull Romantic

I want to thank all three of you, KN, CRG and KH for all your help and I promise to do that some time this week and post the pics.

When I prepare the mix and place it in an air tight jar, I am gonna call it "The four states" in reference to Texas, Kentucky, Hawaii and Louisiana.

HR

OU812

Ok all this sounds good but what about using Old Bay dry mix ?  ::)

Ka Honu

Old Bay has some different ingredients from Zaterain's (e.g., ginger, mace, cardamom, & cinnamon) so it would give you a slightly different taste and you'd have to rename the dish (Maryland style BBQ shrimp?).  No reason not to try it.

OU812

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 13, 2009, 06:38:06 AM
Old Bay has some different ingredients from Zaterain's (e.g., ginger, mace, cardamom, & cinnamon) so it would give you a slightly different taste and you'd have to rename the dish (Maryland style BBQ shrimp?).  No reason not to try it.

Thanks

Go figure the store caries the side dish's like Zaterain's red beans and rice and stuff like that but no Zaterain's crab boil. I have looked for it be for.