First OBS Roast Beef

Started by ArnieM, October 12, 2009, 09:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown1

monty

great looking roast beef Arnie!

i would love to get a slicer but i'm starting to fear for my relationship with all these new toys around and packages coming in the mail ;D
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

ArnieM

Thanks db1 and monty.  I know what you mean monty.  I'd like to get a vacuum sealer and a PID.  But I've been out of work for 7 months now so I have to keep my priorities straight.  Mortgage, insurance, food and JD.  8)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: monty on October 13, 2009, 09:35:54 AM

i would love to get a slicer but i'm starting to fear for my relationship with all these new toys around and packages coming in the mail ;D

I'd make you a sweet deal on a slicer, but shipping to   would cost a small fortune.

Tenpoint5

What kind of slicer do you have Squirt? Maybe meet you in the quad cities and we could drink all Seemore's Beer.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

monty

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 13, 2009, 10:41:41 AM
Quote from: monty on October 13, 2009, 09:35:54 AM

I'd make you a sweet deal on a slicer, but shipping to   would cost a small fortune.

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

squirtthecat

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 13, 2009, 10:49:03 AM
What kind of slicer do you have Squirt? Maybe meet you in the quad cities and we could drink all Seemore's Beer.

It's a Nesco.   It just doesn't slice thin enough without butchering the meat..

I'll get a Chef's Choice once we get through the holiday $eason.

ArnieM

I have a Chef's Choice 610 and got the optional serrated thin slicing blade.  It works amazingly well.

This is a slice of RB from Sunday.  It doesn't go much thinner.  Sorry about my thumb.  ;)
-- Arnie

Tenpoint5

Thanks a lot Arnie now I'm craving a Roast Beef Sammie slathered with Hot mustard and Horseradish.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

That looks like all it needs is MY thumb on it for a second or two~
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

ArnieM

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 13, 2009, 12:12:12 PM
Thanks a lot Arnie now I'm craving a Roast Beef Sammie slathered with Hot mustard and Horseradish.

Try it with a little Mayo and Wasabi sauce.  Honestly, though, I think the Wasabi around here is simply Horseradish with a little green food coloring.  But, it's still good.  :D
-- Arnie

OU812

Thats some dam good looking beast there Arnie. The family likes the greens and most of all the mashed taters. The only thing I cook with is REAL butter, I have both the salted and unsalted on hand at all times.
Never thought about putting the garlic in the water, most of the time I just add granulated garlic to the taters when were mashing them and it stands out a little to much for the wife. I bet its allot more mellow when put in the water. About how many cloves do you put in a typical pot of water and do you crush them or just peel and drop in ?

ArnieM

Well OU, it depends on how many potatoes and how many you're cooking for.  It was leftover RB for tonight.  Three people.  I did three medium size russets and three medium+ size garlic cloves; crushed and skinned.  Throw everything in the pot and bring it to a boil.  A little salt in the water for flavor.  I try to hold the salt down.

Drain everything in a colander when the potatoes are fork tender and put 'em back in the pot.  Add about 2 TBS salted butter, fresh ground black pepper and enough buttermilk to get them to the consistency you want while hand mashing.  I've also used sour cream or half and half in place of the buttermilk.  Cream cheese and milk works pretty well too.  A few chives wouldn't hurt either if you like a bit of onion taste.

I've used a hand mixer before but I like hand mashing.  There's still some potato pieces in there so you know what it is vs potatoes out of a box.  ;D
-- Arnie

OU812

Thanks for the reply Arnie.

I am only cooking for three now that the boys have moved on. Man those boys can eat twice what I eat.

So do you put the garlic back in the taters after you strain ?