1st timer brine question

Started by yamwarrior, October 12, 2009, 05:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamwarrior

Hi guys! I got a recipe for some dried venison...It's AWESOME but different from jerky. It's moist and you shave it thin like pastrami. I've ate it before, but this will be my 1st attempt at making it. The recipe calls for 1.5 gallons of water, sugar, spices, and what I'm not too sure about......2 cups of Tender Quick. That seems like a lot of TQ, but I've never made a brine, so I'm not sure. I know you are suppose to use 1 tbs per lb of meat, but that's for a rub right??  Is it safe to use this much in the brine??

Habanero Smoker

Hi yamwarrior;

Welcome to the forum.

The brine recipe is safe, though it may be a waste of TQ. Morton recommends 1 cup of TQ per gallon, so technically this recipe would only need 1.5 cups. The extra amount that is used in this case is not harmful. There are reasons for using the amount that the recipe call for. The author of the recipe may have wanted to shorten the curing time by making a higher concentration. What was his recommended curing time? Is the venison cooked or air dried? If it is fully air dried, that may be another reason for the amount indicated in the recipe.

You are correct about 1 tablespoon per pound when using it in a dry cure.

Let us know how it turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

muzzletim

If it turns out be sure and share the recipe unless its a "secret". I have been looking for a good recipe like that!
Tim

smokeitall

Yeah if it turns out I would be interested in the recipe also...take pics too if you can.
SIA

yamwarrior

It's sort of a long story. A guy from work makes it, and I've been on him for the recipe for awhile now, but haven't got much out of him. Well I found out he got the "base" of the recipe from another co-worker, and he's doctored it a little to his liking. So I got the base recipe from the co-worker which called for the Tender Quick, but when I asked the guy who makes it about the recipe, he said he just uses table salt. He said he doesn't wash the brine off before he smokes it either. He said he brings it up to 150-155 Internal temp and lets it cool, then slices it into little thin strips and throws it into the fridge to be eaten whenever he wants. I am gonna give it a whirl next week when I get back from up north. I will definetly post something if it turns out, because this stuff is killer. I like it better than jerky which is saying a lot. It's tender, smokey, salty, and if I add the habernos...a little spicey. I found out today about him not using the Tender Quick, so I'm gonna just use table salt. That's what he's using and it turns out great. Thanks for the info though.

Habanero Smoker

If you are a first timer, and you are only using salt to cure, you should add sugar; usually equal amounts or at least 2/3 of the amount of salt. Sugar cut or masks the strong salt taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

yamwarrior

Yep brown sugar is one of the ingredients.  ;)

Roadking

Quote from: yamwarrior on October 13, 2009, 07:52:29 PM
It's sort of a long story. A guy from work makes it, and I've been on him for the recipe for awhile now, but haven't got much out of him. Well I found out he got the "base" of the recipe from another co-worker, and he's doctored it a little to his liking. So I got the base recipe from the co-worker which called for the Tender Quick, but when I asked the guy who makes it about the recipe, he said he just uses table salt. He said he doesn't wash the brine off before he smokes it either. He said he brings it up to 150-155 Internal temp and lets it cool, then slices it into little thin strips and throws it into the fridge to be eaten whenever he wants. I am gonna give it a whirl next week when I get back from up north. I will definetly post something if it turns out, because this stuff is killer. I like it better than jerky which is saying a lot. It's tender, smokey, salty, and if I add the habernos...a little spicey. I found out today about him not using the Tender Quick, so I'm gonna just use table salt. That's what he's using and it turns out great. Thanks for the info though.

There's two type of table salt which one does he use. Personally I would use canning salt there is not additives in it. Here's why I ask.
Table salt is available in two varieties...iodized and non-iodized. Iodized salt contains a very small amount of iodide, which is a required nutrient for us humans. However, iodized salt can add a metallic off-flavor to foods.

Non-iodized salt is free from the added iodide, so it can be a better choice, flavor-wise, than the iodized variety.

However, both types of table salt contain anti-clumping agents, which keep the salt free-flowing in humid weather. One of these is sodium silicoaluminate, which doesn't sound appetizing at all. Anti-clumping agents can add unwanted flavors to your food.

Hope this helps.