• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My OBS arrived yesterday

Started by Nibby4239, October 16, 2009, 04:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nibby4239

This is my first post, so please excuse any mistakes. Received my OSB yesterday after ordering from Amazon 2 days before. My briquettes  came today. I just did my seasoning. Everything worked perfect. I look forward to making first Smoking of some Baby backs
Sunday. I'm going to use my son's recipe to start with. If I can duplicate his, I will be a "happy camper". I have read this forum quite a bit lately and it has been most informative, actually influencing my choice of the OBS. Thank folks! Will let you know how they come out.

Hopefull Romantic

Please do let us know and welcome to the forum.

Lots of good people here with tonnes of smoking experience and willingness to help.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

Congrats on your OBS Nibby and welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you're well on your way to some "Good Eats".
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Nibby. Give a holler if you need some help with the ribs.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Nibby. Check out the recipe site http://www.susanminor.org/forums/ and keep that vent open.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the forum and if you have any questions just ask.

Nibby4239

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I'm sure I will need some help down the road. To get my preheat time figured out, I am going to do a run up to 225 deg. this morning. That way I will know when to start things tomorrow to have my ribs done at 5 PM.  :)

KyNola

Nibby,
Welcome aboard.  Just a thought about your preheat.  Consider running it up to 260 or so.  When you open the door to put your ribs in the temp is going to drop like a rock.  The hotter inside, the better when you open the door for the first time.  You also might consider placing a foil lined brick in the bottom next to the water bowl to aid in heat retention.

Have fun and let us know about your first results.

KyNola

Nibby4239

KyNola,
Preheating to 260 or so is a great idea and I already have a brick wrapped and in place. Thanks for
the suggestion.

ArnieM

I use two bricks on the lowest rack, space permitting.  They're tilted to help funnel any grease into the V tray.

-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ArnieM on October 17, 2009, 12:51:57 PM
I use two bricks on the lowest rack, space permitting.  They're tilted to help funnel any grease into the V tray.

I like that.

smokeitall

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Nibby4239

Well my Baby Backs came out good. I think that I will do 3 hours of smoke next time instead of 2. Otherwise I was very pleased
and so was the family. I Smoked at 225 after a preheat to 265 degrees and had 2 wrapped bricks inside to help with heat recovery as had been suggested. Now I must decide what to smoke next. Will it be Boston Butts or more ribs? Decisions, Decisions! Nibby  :)

ArnieM

Congrats Nibby.  For your next smoke, just check out what's on sale locally.  Pork butts, picnic shoulders, briskets, roast beef ( top or bottom round, rib roast), chickens, turkeys, (whole or parts) etc.  Basically, there's no end to it.  Also, you should try some ABTs.
-- Arnie