IRON CHEF BRADLEY IV Ingredient and Smack talk Thread

Started by Tenpoint5, October 17, 2009, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Kudos to Pachenga!
You made a feast from the ingredients and it all looks great  :)
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

With the Awesome entries so far it will be hard to pick ONE as the overall winner.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Pachanga, very creative. Wish my mind still worked like that. Very Nice Display of Talent.

JoeHifi

ArnieM

This is disgusting  >:(  I've looked at what has been turned in.  Mine won't be ready until tomorrow.  I'm thinking of just throwing all of it into the garbage compactor or feeding it to the raccoons.

There are some really beautiful and creative dishes there.  Pachanga, as usual, has lots of info and detail and I appreciate that.

I guess I just have to live and learn.  I figure we'll all be for the better after the experience.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Arnie I have been asked to hold off for a little bit before posting a voting poll my another member so YOU still have time to post your entry. DO NOT TRASH your entry. I will try and put up the poll before I go to bed around 2pm CST for my 3 hour nap before work tonight. If Not I will post the poll Tuesday Morning.

For those that might complain that I am breaking the rules!!!! I will not tell someone who took the time and effort to create a dish that they cannot enter. This is not about winning or loosing it is about thinking outside the box and having some fun using our Bradley Smokers.

I have been informed that our ICB is not being done the correct way that we should be creating 3 courses with only one item, because that is what the Iron Chef does on TV. This is true BUT, In our Iron chef we only create one course. The Main Course. So we use 3 ingredients. It would be awful hard to create a dessert with a Pork Loin!! The true Iron chef is also done with CHEFs that own restaurants and cook PROFESSIONALLY. WE on the other hand are a bunch of backyard BBQers who are having fun and getting ourselves to think outside the box. The forum would get pretty boring if all we post is pulled pork, brisket and chicken over and over again. I am sorry if we are offending anyone by doing the ICBs the way that we are. The intent was to get us to try something different and do something new and use the Bradley to do it. If nothing more than to showcase the abilities of the Bradley Smoker to ourselves and others who visit the forum.

That is basically why I started the Iron Chef here and called it Iron Chef Bradley and not just Iron Chef because it is different. It has been adapted to fit us. I am open to to change if folks would like to try one ingredient and make three courses we can do one that way. I'm not against it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

Thanks for extending the entry time Chris.
We need more entries  :)
I like the format myself.  It's like Chopped which I enjoy more than Iron Chef because with 3 ingredients its a bit more of a challenge to make them work together.
That's my 2cents,
Carolyn

FLBentRider

I like the format.

Don't wait on my entry.

It is not happening this round.

I way underestimated my schedule.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

I wish you could postpone it for about 3 days.  With helping my daughter buy her first house, helping my wife get ready for an antique show, working for no pay at the office, working at the fly shop, and the rain at times I could smoke I have not finished mine.  Got some prep work done, but not the smoking.  Someday, the planets will line up for me.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

I am going to do my entry and if the deadline is over I will post in a regular post. I think it is something everybody would be able to make and enjoy.

Seems I have miscalculated on everything lately ( got 5 pork slabs brining and I will be gone when they are ready to smoke.....GEEZ)

classicrockgriller

Arnie, very nice........I'll take mine on a toasted sub roll.........plz pm it as fast as possible

Caribou

Great job Arnie!
I love the smoked almonds going with it all yumma  :)
I'm like CRG, but I want mine in a wrap!  Or in one of Pagenga's homemade tortillas.
CRG, you can do it!
Carolyn

Pachanga

Thank you for all who have made comments on my entry.  I appreciate being allowed to be a part of this.

Carolyn ** Puff Pastry, bacon and cream cheese - Get out of here.
WTS ** Deep fried egg rolls – who can pass that up
Linda ** Bacon Jackets on Chicken – how good is that
Deb ** Perfectly made sausage with fruit, cinnamon and chicken – get back
ArnieM ** A medley of flavor; fruits, nuts, vegetables and chicken in a salad – I can't take anymore.

Thank you all for your wonderful and creative ideas.

My wife has looked over the list and I have a lot of cooking to do.  The menu for the next few weeks will keep pears, chicken thighs, and onions on my grocery list and the Bradley smoker smoking.

FlBentrider,

I believe in giving a man a job and then trust him to do the job.  However you handle this competition is Ok with me.  I am just happy to have participated.  It was a very interesting exercise.  Pears are not a staple ingredient in my home, but they will be purchased often from now on.  My jalapeno poppers have taken on a whole new life.  They were some of the best I have ever made.   The chicken thigh drippings intensified the flavors of the beans. The Chile Rellenos were layered in flavors and the pears were a surprise in the salad.  As you stated, this is about stepping out of the box.

I decided to put some further constraints on myself for fun but that was my choice.  I also wanted to see how versatile the Bradley could be.  The rules as you have stated them are fine as far as I am concerned or they can be tightened or loosened in the future.  It is all about doing something different and unique for me.  I also enjoy seeing what the intelligent people of this board decide to create.  This is interesting and entertaining.

As far as leaving the thread open, I am with you, whatever you decide.  I'm not going anywhere.  What are a few hours or days.  It's up to you.  As I said, I believe in giving a man a job and then trust him to do the job. 

Thanks for the idea and opening this up.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

westexasmoker

Thank you for all who have made comments on my entry.  I appreciate being allowed to be a part of this.

Carolyn ** Puff Pastry, bacon and cream cheese - Get out of here.
WTS ** Deep fried egg rolls – who can pass that up
Linda ** Bacon Jackets on Chicken – how good is that
Deb ** Perfectly made sausage with fruit, cinnamon and chicken – get back
ArnieM ** A medley of flavor; fruits, nuts, vegetables and chicken in a salad – I can't take anymore.

Thank you all for your wonderful and creative ideas.

I totally agree....outside the box is so cool......we seem to get to stuck doing the same thing all the time, its nice to try something different.     Not one to influence...I think Carolyn has this one down!   ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

seemore

I am not going to be turning in an entree to this particular smackdown, as I came home from work in a particularly tired and lazy mood and then I deep-fried the main ingredient in the entree.  My bad.
Time to turn in my woman card........
My humble opinion on this competition is this:  this is a FRIENDLY competition between people on this forum who love food:  smoking it, preparing it, serving it.
With that said, if someone wants to create three courses with the ingredients, go for it.  If someone wants to create one course with the ingredients, go for it again.
Arnie, please don't EVER be discouraged if you don't think your recipe "matches up" to others on the Forum.  Ask 10.5.  I almost did not submit my entree as it was not as pretty in presentation as the others.
However, thanks to 10.5, I realized that this "competition" is all about the joy of cooking!  Period.  And of course, the 10.5 smack talk.  ;)
So, I will continue to compete in these contests - when I am not having a lazy day. 
And of course, I will always look forward to the 10.5 SMACK TALK!!!!
In my opinion, every single dish that has been submitted thus far has garnered major bragging rights by their chefs!
Mrs.