Pizza Sauce

Started by BigJohnT, October 21, 2009, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

Anyone have a killer pizza sauce recipe? I've had some good ones at the Tower of Pizza in New Orleans and a few other places but have never been able to reproduce the exact taste. It is an Italian kind of taste in the sauce. I have a good recipe but it lacks something...

Thanks
John

classicrockgriller

oregano? My wife uses mexican oregano

BigJohnT

CRG, does it taste different than regular oregano?

Here is my recipe.

JT

classicrockgriller

to me it does, stronger taste

BigJohnT

CRG,

I'll see if I can find some to see if that makes the difference.

Thanks
John

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 21, 2009, 04:32:28 PM
to me it does, stronger taste

John, you might check with deb415611 or ArnieM. Some of the best pizza I ever has was in the Danbury CT area while there for work (They both are from that area). If I remember right, Deb has been mentioned quite a few time here for pizzas.
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Thanks Hawkeye,

Hope they will catch this and chime in. I have only been to a few places that had killer sauce... most are ok. My quest has been for years... I used to live outside New Orleans and would drive 35 miles one way to eat pizza at the Tower of Pizza in Metairie La. 

Thanks
JT

deb415611

My pizza sauce is simple.  I never measure so I'll try to guestimate on the measurements.....

28 oz can ground tomatoes -- key is good GROUND tomatoes - my fav is 6-1 http://escalon.net/6in1.aspx -- I can't get them locally (except for a case of #10 cans) so I mailorder direct from escalon ,  if I'm out I will buy Pastene Kitchen Ready Ground Tomatoes

oregano - probably about two teaspoons -- I like greek or turkish oregano for italian based recipes

granulated garlic - probably about a teaspoon

crushed red pepper -  maybe 1/2 teaspoon

stir it up and use

deb415611

JT,

Try to find the escalon 6-1's - it's what some pizza places use. 

Deb

BigJohnT

Deb,

Thanks for the link that may be the missing ingredient.  I'll give that a try.

Thanks
John

deb415611

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 21, 2009, 04:55:22 PM
Deb,

Thanks for the link that may be the missing ingredient.  I'll give that a try.

Thanks
John

There is also a Stanislaus product that is similiar to the 6-1 that is used by pizza makers also -- might be 7/11 or tomato magic.  The escalon 6-1's do not have citric acid added to them and I think they have a fresher taste.

deb415611

I'm going to modify the oregano measurement above.  A tablespoon is probably more than I use,  it's probably more like 2 tsps. 

deb415611

JT,

Fennel might be the ingredient you are looking for.  Penzey's pizza spice has fennel in it & it's good.

Deb

BigJohnT

I don't think the fennel is the magic ingredient, the sauce had something I can't pin down. It might be the tomatoes, I use tomato paste which is kinda how do I describe it a funny taste... that without salt tastes funky.

John

ArnieM

I really can't add to the sauce artistry.  For 'homemade' I take mine out of the freezer, unwrap 'em, add some EVOO, Italian spice and pepper flakes, then into the oven.

The raccoons got most of the last one I made from scratch.  They liked it  ;D

I've found the Greek places had some of the best pies when we eat out.

My question to Deb is, how do you know all of this stuff about tomatoes and such?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.