Storing Left Over Pork Butt

Started by Rainmaker, October 25, 2009, 02:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

I'm smoking two pork butts tonight/tomorrow.  Since we will only eat part of one tomorrow, I'm looking for advice on how to store the left overs.  I have a food saver and think I should use it to freeze meal sized portions.  Is it better to shred the pork before freezing or should I freeze whole chunks and shred when reheated?  Also, what is the recommended method of reheating the pork?  Thanks for any advice.

pensrock

I like to shred the whole butt at one time. Then I vac seal in whatever size I want. Some will put the vac sealed bag into boiling water to reheat, which should work fine. I like to do a little larger sizes and use a crock pot to reheat. I put a little apple juice in with the meat and reheat.

JGW

I to shred the whole thing.  I vac seal and freeze about a meals worth in each bag.  Reheat in simmering water...just throw the bag in the water.

Wildcat

Same here, except DO NOT BOIL the water. Get it as hot as possible without boiling. If you boil it, there is a good chance the seal will break. If it does, take it out right away.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

HawkeyeSmokes

Had that happen the first time I reheated a sealed bag. Came a boil on me and the seal let go. Learned a lesson the hard way.   :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Rainmaker

Thanks for the responses.  Looks like the consensus is to shred them vacuum seal.  I'll do that and watch out to make sure I don't boil when reheating.  I liked the sounds of your recipe Pensrock.  Might try that as well.  I think I'll have lots left over so can experiment.

Quarlow

I am sorry to tell you this JimV but you can't store pork butt and all these guys are lying to you. The only way to deal with it is to pack it all real well and ship it to me. I repeat you can not store pork butt.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

JGW

I bring the water to a boil, then turn off the heat and put the bag in.  Works fine that way, but yeah.....throwing the bag into boiling water is a quick way to make soup.  ;D

FLBentRider

I don't shred until after I reheat.

I think it keeps it moister.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!