Looking for help with a beef round

Started by cutconcrete, October 28, 2009, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutconcrete

Hi, I am new to the forum and to smoking with a Bradley.  I was so excited when I bought my new smoker I went out and bought all kinds of meat to do on the Bradley, and now I am trying to figure out what to do with this cut of meat.  It says Beef Round/Round Tip on the weight tag. I though it was a version of a brisket but now that I have spent time on the forum I realize that this cut is much thicker than a traditional beef brisket. Should I treat it just as a brisket or should I make it into a pastrami? Any help would be greatly appreciated from a rookie!
Remember rescue dogs need homes to, or at least that what my wife tells me!

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum cutconcrete. Sorry  but I think I have already done that.

I would go with pastrami on that cut

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum cut!

With a roast I usually go for about 2-3 hours smoke and hit an IT of 140-150 then rest and slice.  You can also braise it after the smoke...some dang good pot roast there....or pop in the oven to crisp up the outside, rest and slice.  Or even better smoke and hit your IT, fridge overnight then either braise or into oven!  I'm getting hungry now!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caneyscud

The roast will be great anyway you do it, but what WTS posted should get you dead on.  One of the tougher cuts of meat so it needs low and slow, but it also doesn't have that much fat so the braising and oven cooking can keep it moist while getting tender.  Great tasting meat!  Keep us posted on the outcome.  Nothing wrong with making pastrami, but will take longer to get your meal out of it!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Huntnfreak

Another Newbie question.  WTS what is braising?