Trash can turkey .....

Started by outdoorsfellar, October 24, 2009, 06:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

While at deer camp last week, we ate like kings every night. The one thing we do each year is have a steak night & chicken night, where everyone cooks their own steak / chicken. This year, a few of us shared a turkey. First, I have to say this is kinda off topic since there was no smoking involved, but I am certainly going to smoke a bird first before I do this again. In preparation for the can, a stake was pounded into the ground for the bird to rest on, & then foil was placed around the stake .....

Then, the bird itself was placed on the stake. No brine, just seasoning & whatever rub was available was used ...

Once " perched ", the galvanized trash can ... NOTE: the can itself had already been "seasoned", by burning out the inside to get rid of the galvanization, was placed over the bird, & then charcoal was placed around the OUTER side of the can & on top as well .... just like an over sized dutch oven . The charcoal needs to be white before placing around the can.

With this being a 12 lb bird, it only takes 1 hr & 20 min ! A bird @ 20 lbs, would probably take 2 hrs perhaps. Once the hr & 20 min is up, the bird is ready to eat ! ....

When we uncovered the bird, those legs were literaly hanging from the body, & there was literaly no grease as well on the foil.  Everyone was amazed that a turkey could be done in that short amount of time & it was VERY moist & tastey !

squirtthecat

Wow!

That is a very impromptu 'cajun microwave'..

smokeitall

That is very interesting, thanks for posting. 
SIA

HawkeyeSmokes

The turkey looks great. And I bet it was a lot of fun to doing that!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

We have made those camping with the scouts.

The kids think its cool. The parents are skeptical until they taste it.

We would do 6 at a time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Looks great. And a cool way to prepare it.

Hopefull Romantic

Very innovative got to try that soon.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

car54

I believe it is the same cooking concept as the Big Easy. A hardware store by me sells something very similar made out of stainless steel.

Brad

classicrockgriller

Quote from: car54 on October 25, 2009, 04:19:22 AM
I believe it is the same cooking concept as the Big Easy. A hardware store by me sells something very similar made out of stainless steel.

Brad

It basically is the same concept as the Orion Smoker. The heat at bottom and at top makes it like a convection steam oven.

That was fun to see done ODG. Thanks for the pics.

bflosmoke

I have done the same thing many times but I switched to a beer keg a few years back and it does an even better job. Just cut one end out and you have a oven that will last forever.
BFLO

classicrockgriller

OU812

Cool pictures outdoorsfellar, looks like everyone was having a good time.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 27, 2009, 01:57:41 PM
Pic of the Orion Smoker

I saw one of those for like 99 bucks on woot.com earlier this year..   Not sure if it was worth it or not?  Couldn't find an objective review of it.

classicrockgriller

squirt, they work great. I have one and cooked in it some 25 times or so. Just don't crsp the skin (sorta like the bradley)

Does ribs and they fall off the bone.

There is a forum for this cooker also. You add chips to the inside bottom and it will smoke the meat also.
You are suppose to use instant lite charcoal cause that is how their times are calculated.

ArnieM

Boy, there's no end to creativity when people are hungry and have a bird.  Looks good and was certainly interesting.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.