• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to smoking

Started by dfolk22, October 28, 2009, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfolk22

I just bought myself a bradley original this weekend.  I have to seasoning right now, and trying to figure out what to cook first.  I am planning something for this saturday, but with so many decisions I cant decide.

Does anyone have any suggestions.  Some fellow smoker friends suggested a whole chicken, or ribs.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum dfolk!

You won't go wrong with anything!  Chicken is probably the easiest thing to test the waters with!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Chicken is easy, short(er) cook.

Pork butt if you have more time and patience on your hands.

Get those under your belt and then go for the ribs, brisket, a fatty or two, ABT's, mooink balls, salmon...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun of smoking

Chicken would be a good start, when doing poultry keep the vent on the top WIDE open, as poultry has allot of moisture in the skin. Also when smoking chicken 2 hr of smoke will be plenty. I like to do chicken with a cabnet temp of 250 F and pull the chicken out when the internal temp hist 160 F

ArnieM

Hi dfolk.  Welcome to the forum and the smoking addiction  ;)

I agree chicken is a good way to start.  This is one I did a while back that was finished on the grill to crisp up the skin some.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11673.0
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

HI defolk and welcome to our family.

Chicken is the easiedt thing to get your feet wet. Remember to keep th event fully openned and the temp at 250.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

LindaCC

Congratulations dfolk... You are going to have such fun. I'm a newbie as well!!! Have just had mine a couple of weeks. I tried the Chicken Cordon Bleu very 1st. Turned out A+!! Have fun.
ps...hope you took some before shots. That's the last time you see it all bright and shinny.

dfolk22

Thanks everyone for the posts...

Well I ventured and tried some babyback ribs.  Used a dry rub, with apple wood.  They came out awsome.  I do have to say the ease of the bradley helped.

Then today I did two whole chickens.  Took the flavor injector, and injected a butter/old bay seasoning mix into the meat.  I also did a dry rub of the oldbay seasoning on the skin, and into the cavity.

I used smoke through the entire cooking process.  Came out great, but next time will probably cut that down to 2 hours like one of the posts said to do. 

Its a learning thing, and so far I'm loving it....

classicrockgriller

dfolk, glad you had a great smoke. did you take any pictures?

Try this link to get your pictures going.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

ArnieM

dfolk - I'm sorry for you.  Now you know how easy it is to get hooked on this stuff.  Onward and upward from here.  ;D
-- Arnie

OU812

Quote from: dfolk22 on November 01, 2009, 07:58:21 PM
I used smoke through the entire cooking process.  Came out great, but next time will probably cut that down to 2 hours like one of the posts said to do. 

I told you  :D ;D ::)

Caneyscud

And there is no cure!   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

-- Arnie