summer sausage

Started by dbondy, October 30, 2009, 11:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbondy

hi guys. i,m making my first batch of summer sausage. i have 4 3lbs casings in right now. i put them in at 120 to dry for a hour,then turned temp up to 140 and started to apply smoke. then turned temp up to 155 after hour 2.  after 2 hours of smoke turned off generator, then brought temp up to 170.  internal temp of sausage is already at 142 and intend to pull out at 156. it seems to me that internal temp is rising pretty fast compared to an earlier post that said it him almost 10 hours. igot a remote maveric in the cabinent, and also using a thermapen to check. every thing looks great, so not worried. i will try to post pics when done. wish me luck.  any info on ruff estamate on cooking time would be greatfull. thanks             

mikeradio

I find as the cabinet temp and the sausage temp get closer it takes longer to increase the sausage temp.  So when the cabinet is at 170 and the sausage is at 90 there is a temp difference of 80, now the sausage is at 142 the is only a difference of 28, so sausage will take longer to increase its internal temp.  Don't increase the cabinet temp or you will turn the fat to a liquid and lose it all.  Don't forget to ice bath them when you remove the sausage and then let them bloom for a couple of hours.

Mike

dbondy

thanks for the info. i did notice the temps seem to stalling a little.i also have a cool ready with ice water for the bath. intend to bring internal temp down to 100 after in ice bath. thanks

OU812

dboundy, sounds like you have the plan to make some good sausage, might want to rotate the front to back as the back is a bit hotter than the front.

Keep us posted and good luck.

dbondy

Here are some pics of my first summer sausage. It came out excellant. I think i,ll try to do another 15lbs next weekend, but with venison. Tomorows opening day for deer season, so should have fresh by friday.

mikeradio

Wow dbondy the sausage turned out great.  How many hours did it take?  I like your idea for hanging the sausage, stick in the wall.

Mike

pensrock

Those look really good, all you need is some smoked cheese, crackers and a few cold ones.  ;D

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dbondy

HI pensrock, my wife having a wine and cheese party next sat.  So will defenentaly will put out smoked chedder and some sausage to go along with the wine.

dbondy

Hi mikeradio. It took about 7.5hrs, then 25 mins in water bath to cool off, then let bloom for 3hrs. Since it was my first try, I used the himountain kit with extra pepper corns. Came Out great, a few tubes went missing right away(must of been the in laws) . Next time I,ll add more pepper corns ,garlic and some fermento from the sausage maker. I like alittle more tang to my sausage, so hope this might help.

Hopefull Romantic

Are you sure this is your first time?  ;)

They look great well done.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

dbondy

Hey HR, this was my first summer sausage attemp. I did do some fresh pork sausage many years ago with my father. Couldn,t of did it with out reading all of the great info from you guys on this sight.  Thanks ::)

KevinG

Excellent looking sausage - making me hungry for a sandwich!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Quarlow

Ok dbondy thats it now a stuffer is definitely on the list. Damn that's some fine looking stuff there.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muzzletim

I am just putting 10 summer sausage in the smoker as I speak! Yours look great. I hope I have as good smoking as you did!
Tim