summer sausage

Started by dbondy, October 30, 2009, 11:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbondy

Hi  Quarlow. A stuffer is the only way to , I got very lucky on mine. I got it from my mother, she said it came from my great grandad. Its an old enterprize stuffer, its not pretty but works awsome. :D

drano

dbondy,
that looks awsome, especially for a first batch!
I've used a few High Mt kits also and really liked them, but now I've switched to Friscos in Omaha. 
You'll like a nice stuffer.  I've got a 11 lb Cabelas (and now with a motor on it).  I think I made one batch w/out a stuffer. 
I seems like it takes longer to get my sausage up to temp than 7.5 hours, and I only put 3 in at a time.  Next time I'm using 1.75 lb casings that are smaller in diameter, so they should cook thru quicker. 
Now you can make snack sticks, brats, kielbasa, italian sausage, . . .

get smokin
drano

Tenpoint5

dbondy hang on to that stuffer I have seen them go for $600 at auctions for the big ones. especially if you have both plates and the fruit juicer
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking sausage there. Hard to believe that's your first try at it.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Great job on the suasage db

When doing deer sausage I like 60% deer and 40% pork butt, works great.

RAF128

Quote from: dbondy on November 01, 2009, 07:00:00 AM
Hi mikeradio. It took about 7.5hrs, then 25 mins in water bath to cool off, then let bloom for 3hrs. Since it was my first try, I used the himountain kit with extra pepper corns. Came Out great, a few tubes went missing right away(must of been the in laws) . Next time I,ll add more pepper corns ,garlic and some fermento from the sausage maker. I like alittle more tang to my sausage, so hope this might help.

I've used that kit a couple times.   Never thought to  put peppercorns or cracked pepper in it but should have.   Only thing I added was mustard seeds.
What temp did you smoke at?

RAF128

Quote from: dbondy on November 01, 2009, 02:27:12 PM
Hi  Quarlow. A stuffer is the only way to , I got very lucky on mine. I got it from my mother, she said it came from my great grandad. Its an old enterprize stuffer, its not pretty but works awsome. :D

Does stuffer look anything like this?   This is over 100 years old and works great.

dbondy

Hi RAF128, yep thats the same stuffer as mine. I also have the smaller juicing plate, strainer and origanal box. Its not as pretty looking as yours, but works fine. I was suprized that 10.5 said it was worth that much. I will make sure it stays in the family.  Thanks ::)