Smoked Turkey Confusion

Started by JSaloisSr, October 19, 2009, 12:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

adding some herbs, lemons, onions, etc to the cavity of the bird doesn't hurt the flavor - but these are not for eating and are for aromatic flavor enhancement, possibly not as effective when smoking a bird and just as much argument that an empty cavity with smoky air is, perhaps, the best flavor of all.
Happy Grilling!

NePaSmoKer

Damn

Ya mean i been doing this all wrong.   :D  :D

nepas

JSaloisSr

Well, it's in the brine.  I will be take it out lat tonight and smoke it tomorrow morning.  I'll let you know how it comes out.
Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

Roadking

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 20, 2009, 06:31:11 AM
Damn

Ya mean i been doing this all wrong.   :D  :D

nepas

I totally gave up trying to smoke a turkey or even a chicken. I just can't for some darn reason get them to light, they keep going out and I really don't know if I'm puffing on the right end. Do you thing it's because they're too darn wet?  :D

FLBentRider

Quote from: Roadking on October 30, 2009, 12:40:28 PM
Damn

nepas

I totally gave up trying to smoke a turkey or even a chicken. I just can't for some darn reason get them to light, they keep going out and I really don't know if I'm puffing on the right end. Do you thing it's because they're too darn wet?  :D

You have to get a good pellicle before you roll it in the jumbo turkey-widers!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 30, 2009, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: Roadking on October 30, 2009, 12:40:28 PM
Damn

nepas

You have to get a good pellicle before you roll it in the jumbo turkey-widers!

Right.  But you should chop it up some and dry it before lighting up.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

JSaloisSr

Well, I just put it in the oven, now we wait... again...  I know, it's worth it.  I'm trying to insert a picture, bit all it does is insert img.

Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: JSaloisSr on October 31, 2009, 02:40:56 PM
Well, I just put it in the oven, now we wait... again...  I know, it's worth it.  I'm trying to insert a picture, bit all it does is insert img.[img]

Here's a link on posting pictures. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Good luck with that bird and keep us posted!
HawkeyeSmokes

JSaloisSr

Thanks, the picture info helped.  I did get it to show up.  As for the turkey, I'm not thrilled.  I used maple because that's all I had left.  The smoke flavor is really weak. I smoked it for 4 hours.  I think I want to try mesquite next time.

Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

aces-n-eights

Thanks for the pics and feedback.  I will be doing a turkey this week and will probably smoke a little longer than you did with a stronger flavor.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

KyNola

4 hours of smoke should be ample for a turkey or chicken.  They both tend to act like sponges when it comes to absorbing smoke.  Even when using maple I would have thought 4 hours would be more than ample.  Typically I have used either apple or hickory but have never exceeded 3 hours and had plenty of smoke flavor.

Curious.

KyNola