• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prague Powder

Started by oakville smoker, November 05, 2009, 04:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

What would a day be without a dumb question from Oakville Ontario?
Not wanting to disappoint......

I ordered some Prague Powder and it has now arrived.  Either my lack of focus, knowledge or the pure excitement of actually being able to buy it might have contributed to an error.  The bag it came in says Prague Powder.  It does not say cure 1 or 2 or any number. It says its for sausage only.  Did I order the wrong one for making bacon and what not?  I even went back and looked at the catalog to see if there were different numbers or if I had overlooked something.  It just says Prague Powder. Maybe its generic and depending on what its mixed with or how its mixed it becomes #1 or #2?

I am sure I can come up with some more dumb questions for tomorrow.  Until then, happy smoking.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

It doesn't say anything about the chemical composition ?

Sodium nitrate ?%

I would call the place you purchased it and ask them
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

I will have to check the package but I think it said nitrite and not nitrate.
This doesnt sound like a good thing....   LOL
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

3rensho

If it's nitrite only then it's No. 1.  If it's a mixture of nitrite and nitrate then it's No. 2.  I'd give 'em a bell for clarification

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Hopefull Romantic

I would love to know what both of these Prague powders are used for?

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on November 05, 2009, 06:16:39 AM
I would love to know what both of these Prague powders are used for?

HR

Prague powder #1, Insta cure #1 and pink salt #1 are all the sane just diff manufactures

3rensho

Prague No.1 which contains NaNO2 (remainder table salt) is used in sausage formulations when you are going to smoke them and the IT remains in the so called danger zone for a period of time.  It inhibits growth of nasty bacteria.  Prague 2 contains both NaNo2 and NaNO3 (remainder table salt).  Used when making air dried meats that sit a long time at RT (salumi).  The nitrate slowly breaks down under biological conditions to nitrite and serves as a time release source of nitrite.  There are detailed explanations within this forum.  This is just a quickie.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Hopefull Romantic

Thanks OU812 and 3rensho.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.