Goat .................. Need help in recipe development

Started by classicrockgriller, November 03, 2009, 06:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Hmmm.  Goat.  Might be an interesting ingredient for the next ICB.

CRG, can't you get an avatar that holds still?  You're wearing out my graphics controller.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

April 12, 2009 Smoked Easter Cabrito Recipe

I thought I'd share my Easter Cabrito experiment with everyone since it turned out so nicely.

First, get a 3 lb. shoulder of goat. I got mine at a farmer's market, and it cost around $8 per pound. Not inexpensive, but hey — goat is the new "It Meat" right? At least that's what the New York Times calls it. Here are the other ingredients you'll need. It will serve 4-6 adults depending on portion size:

•2 liter bottle of Coke
•1 liter of apple juice
•1/2 cup Lea & Perrin
•4 tblsp Pimenton Dulce
•2 tblsp Cumin
•2 tblsp fresh cracked black pepper
•2 tblsp kosher salt
•4 limes from a Latino grocery (they're sweeter)
•1 bunch of green onions
•1/4 cup chopped white onion
•1/4 cup chopped cilantro
•Chipotle Tabasco to taste
•Soft flour tortillas of your favorite size
I marinated my goat shoulder in a mixture of Coca-Cola, apple juice, Lea & Perrin and Chipotle Tabasco. Before adding the meat to the marinade, I reserved some for a mopping sauce (to which I added a fresh squeezed lime). Set mopping sauce aside and marinate the goat shoulder overnight.

Next, chop cilantro and onions and combine in a small bowl. Set aside and serve as a side with lime wedges at mealtime.

After removing the goat from the marinade, prepare a basic rub of cumin, pimenton dulce (sweet smoked paprika), fresh black pepper and kosher salt. You could skip all but the salt and be fine.

Place the shoulder in a smoker at 250 degrees. Use the marinade as the liquid in the smoker to maintain moisture levels. Let it smoke for three hours, or until a meat thermometer reads 120 degrees and start mopping — continue to do so periodically until a nice crust forms and the meat achieves an internal temperature of 145 degrees. Remove, set on a rack, and tent with foil. Do not disturb for at least 30 minutes to let the meat rest, then slice against the grain. I ended up chopping it up like a pulled pork shoulder and it worked out fine. I also used this time to rub a bunch of green onions with canola oil and grill them up until they had a nice set of charred grill marks on them.

To assemble all this goodness, you'll need to light a gas burner and use your tongs to blister your tortillas. Just place them over medium heat right on the element. Flip constantly until you get the level of goodness you're looking for. This is really a critical move. Next, place your cabrito (not too much) on your tortilla, spoon on some cilantro and onions, add a sprig of grilled green onion, then squeeze some lime over the whole thing. Fold it up burrito-stle (my personal choice) or eat it like a soft taco. A dash of sour cream is entirely optional but would be delicious. I served mine with nice, smokey-sweet grilled corn.

That's it. Simple, different, and delightful!

JGW

Here's a Cabrito in beer recipe.

4-5 lb hind quarter

Mix the following as a marinade

1 can/bottle beer (your choice, but do not use a "light" beer)
1 onion
.25 cup of veggie oil
Lime juice (two limes worth)
1 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 TBS oregano
2 tsp of cumin seeds, ground  (toast them first)
2 tsp salt

Marinade over night in large plastic bag.  Let the meat come to room temp prior to smoking.  Smoke on the HIGH side until IT is 160.

NOTE:  If you can, smoke at 250+

Slice and serve in tacos with pico de gallo, salsa, guac, etc.

classicrockgriller