I have Just Come Back from OZ

Started by oakville smoker, November 11, 2009, 10:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

How else could you describe going for a walk at lunch time, seeing a sign for a butcher shop and going in to find a smoker's nirvana.
If you have followed my challenges of finding meat to smoke here in the southern Ontario area, you can most likely appreciate what I am saying.  Its a good size place run by a friendly Greek guy.

Picture this....  I am standing in front of the display case and I see Boston butts laid out, side by each.  How much?  1.49 a pound.
Less than what I paid last time.  I take public transit to work and I am trying to figure out how many pork butts I can fit in my back pack and how the heck I can keep them cold on the way home.  One day very soon I will be bringing the car to work.

Do you sell packer brisket ts sir?  I do, you want points?.  How are you going to cook them he asks?  I explain a 4 day cure and a long smoke.  He now has a smile like a Cheshire cat.  The guy wants me to  bring him samples.  We have bonded. We are now buddies.  Now I am aroused in a butcher shop !  What have I turned into? 

Of course I ask about sausage casings, oh yes we have those sir.  What about pork fat?  What are you going to  do with he asks? Make sausage and salami I reply.  Can you bring me some to try he says.  I will order special fat in for you.  Then he says see the stuff we make here, and says don't make it like this  LOL

I have a new best friend...  LOL  My buddy from work is laughing his head off.  But he is lined up to come and eat anything I make!  I am more excited now than when Jimmy Buffett said he was coming back to town !  I can sense another sleepless night coming on.  An afternoon of not leaving my desk due to my "excitement".

Only other smokers would understand.  Damn I am addicted.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

ArnieM

Good for you OS  :D  Sounds like you found a great place.  The pork butt down here at my local market is 0.99 this week.  I can only get one; no more room in the freezer.

Please explain the 4 day cure.  Thanks.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

oakville smoker

4 day cure for pastrami....
Just made some, was excellent. 
Would have been better than excellent if I had my new meat slicer to carve it up on
Guess what's going to happen now?  Briskett will be going home ....  Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun....  could pull this off before work starts again next week.  more pastrami, thinly sliced.  Damn.  I am shutting down and heading right back there to see how much I can carry home.  LOL 
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Tenpoint5

You now have the best kind of friend to have. A BUTCHER!! Yes Samples will bring FREEPAS I mean freebies and they will also bring you insight as to when things will be on sale and the ability to special order things that others can't get. Fresh bellies for BACON come to mind. If you do it right you might just land yourself a side job making sausages and things for selling in the store, with the use of professional equipment!! Good luck with your opportunity Oakville
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Quote from: ArnieM on November 11, 2009, 10:19:17 AM
Good for you OS  :D  Sounds like you found a great place.  The pork butt down here at my local market is 0.99 this week.  I can only get one; no more room in the freezer.

Please explain the 4 day cure.  Thanks.

Sorry, my dumb.  Somehow I merged the butts and the 4 day cure skipping the brisket.  I got it now.
-- Arnie

KyNola

Way to go OS!  What a great find AND he's asking for samples.  I think you have walked right into a great situation.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Makes you kinda tingle all over. I had a smile from ear to ear for you oaksmok. Is this Heaven?

HawkeyeSmokes

Good for you OS on your new find and a new friend as a bonus! Keep us posted.
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 11, 2009, 03:12:02 PM
Makes you kinda tinkle all over.

Had a dog with that problem once. Don't get her excited.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

lumpy

Mind if I ask the name of your best friend's shop.
Is it close to Kitchener?

Lumpy

Quarlow

Makes you kinda tinkle all over. I had a smile from ear to ear for you oaksmok. Is this Heaven?
ROFLMAO hey CRG when you tinkle all over, they have pills for that.LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Quote from: Quarlow on November 11, 2009, 06:15:15 PM
Makes you kinda tinkle all over. I had a smile from ear to ear for you oaksmok. Is this Heaven?
ROFLMAO hey CRG when you tinkle all over, they have pills for that.LOL
That's what keeps the deer away  ;D ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: oakville smoker on November 11, 2009, 10:13:04 AM

Only other smokers would understand.  Damn I am addicted.

Yes your are OS yes you are. :D

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

oakville smoker

Lumpy

This guy is no where near Kitchener.  Unfortunately he is in Scarborough.  I commute on the train every day out here.
I can get the name of the store if you want, I think its AMT Meat Wholesale.  I was out your way a couple of weeks ago to St Jacobs and loaded the freezer up with chicken.

Big or small, this guy does it all.  Older guy.  Good sized operation.  Retail and wholesale.  This area of the city is a touch depressed and there must be a big demand for the lesser cuts of meat like butt and brisket.  Lets face it, you just don't see those in chain grocery stores around here.  But that's perfect for me.

I think I am going back again at lunch today.  Its probably like having a dealer, the first taste is free and then you are hooked.  LOL  We have a fridge in the office and although I took the train today, I am going to figure out how to get a pork butt home on the train with me !  Pulled pork for Grey Cup in a couple of weeks it will be and I ordered a sausage grinder yesterday.

I am slipping further and further into the smoke pit.  God help me, God help us all......

squirtthecat

Get a gallon freezer bag and fill it full of ice cubes.   Wrap it and your butt up in a heavy towel and shove in a backpack...    It should stay plenty cold for the ride home.  Even a smallish igloo cooler could hold a butt and keep it nice and cozy.

I get collapsible insulated foil bags at the store, and use them to keep stuff cold in my office until I head for home.  I'd snap a pic of one, but they are in my other car.