• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Deer Hunt

Started by dbrown1, November 10, 2009, 09:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown1

Just wanted to say I hope you all enjoy veterans day I will be out of town from the 11th to the 18th on a deer hunt (my first one) .
Pretty excited, will be looking up all of the deer recipes when I return so I can make some sausage etc. in the bradley.  ;D

Tenpoint5

dbrown,

Here is one to get you started.

Deer Bologna
For German Bologna use Lean Beef instead of venison
For 10 lbs:

7 lbs venison
3 lbs pork butts
1 tsp ground white pepper
3 Tbs ground mustard
1 Tbs ground celery
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garlic powder
4.5 Tbs powdered dextrose
2 cups soy protein concentrate (or Substitute with Non Fat Dry Milk)
2 cups ice water
2 tsp Instacure #1 (DQ Curing salt #1, Prague Powder #1, pink salt)
4 Tbs salt

Grind meat through 3/16' grinder plate. Mix ingredients and distribute evenly, add water as you go. Bologna is usually stuffed into 8" diameter casings but 3.5", 5" or any size that is handy will work too. Hang at room temperature until casings are dry. PLace in preheated smoker at 165 degrees. until internal temp reaches 150 degrees. Remove and cool in a water bath until internal temp is brought down to around 90 degrees. This type of bologna is usually not smoked. If you like a more store bought look, be sure to emulsify the meat while grinding.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Good luck and safe hunting dbrown!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

pensrock

That bologna recipe looks good, I'm going to give it a try. Have you tried smoking it? If so how did it come out? And how long did you smoke it?

OU812

Good luck on your first White Tail hunt, I'm sure you will have fun.

I cant wait mine starts the 14th, only bummer here is alot of the corn is still in.

aces-n-eights

Good luck, d!  Where are you headed?
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Caribou

Hi Dbrown!
Hope you have a wonderful hunting trip.
I have a smoked jalapeno cheddar venison sausage recipe that the good folks on this forum helped me develop.
It's on my Blog, here's the link:
http://caribou-ificandoitmyself.blogspot.com/2009/05/jalapeno-cheddar-deer-smoke-yum.html
Carolyn

KevinG

Good luck on your hunt. Just got back from mine. A whole weeks worth of glassing mountains, boy are my eyes burning, along with everything else. Temps in the upper 90s. At least it ended well with a spike. Had a shot at a really nice 3 pointer (6 to you easterners) but it was out at 400 yards with him running at full get up and go. Couldn't quite cut the mustard on him.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Fuzzybear

Kevin:  Spikes make nice toothpicks - i see that you reference 6 point and 3 point - what part of the Northwest are you from?  I'm here in WA and depending on to whom I am speaking with, they will be a 3 pt; 6 pt or 3 x 3

My first whitetail was a spike, my second carried a fork and I'm trying to figure out how to get my 3 or 4pt by Sunday afternoon. ;D

KevinG

Originally from Chicago, moved to Arizona when I was just a young'n. I was very fortunate for my first whitetail, he was a beautiful 4 X 4. Was tickled silly & got him mounted. Haven't topped him since, don't really expect I will either cause we don't grow them too big out here, these are the little Coues deer.

Ok, you've got my curiosity up - Fuzzybear, does this mean you're a cop?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

dbrown1

Well I went to Kodiak, Alaska . We went for Blacktail....was a blast minus the getting ill thing.

dbrown1

Quote from: Caribou on November 10, 2009, 05:55:43 PM
Hi Dbrown!
Hope you have a wonderful hunting trip.
I have a smoked jalapeno cheddar venison sausage recipe that the good folks on this forum helped me develop.
It's on my Blog, here's the link:
http://caribou-ificandoitmyself.blogspot.com/2009/05/jalapeno-cheddar-deer-smoke-yum.html
Carolyn
Thank you I will make this next week I think, looks good

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pensrock on November 10, 2009, 11:50:26 AM
That bologna recipe looks good, I'm going to give it a try. Have you tried smoking it? If so how did it come out? And how long did you smoke it?

No Pens I haven't hit it with smoke yet. When I made it I had it in the big 8 inch bologna casings. When I get some more deer meat I will be doing it in a summer sausage casing and I will be hitting it with 1:40 of Hickory. I think Nepas and Smokeitall might have tried the recipe maybe rick hit his with some smoke. I am curious as well. But it is really good just like it is and it does leave lots of room for added goodies.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Fuzzybear

Kevin,

Not a cop - just a poor old working slob working for the man - how did your hunt go?