Which Sausage 1st ?????

Started by oakville smoker, November 13, 2009, 03:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Just got my new grinder
Just vac pac'd 66 lbs of pork butt
Grinder was not supposed to here till Monday, surprise !
I have hog casings ......

I have never made sausage before and I am now over my head here so to speak

What do you guys think the easiest with highest chance of success 1st time sausage would be ?

Any and all help appreciated.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Piker

I tried breakfast sausage first because it seemed to be very simple as a fresh sausage no cure and no smoking. It turned out great. I started with small batches usually 5 lbs. just to be safe.As I became more experienced I experimented more and more which now I find put in the stuff I like best. It is amazing what you can come up with. Thks Piker

KevinG

I've got to tell you, the absolute easiest is to buy the pre-made HI MOUNTAIN kits. They have everything you need (except meat), with full instructions, and it comes out great. Everybody at work raves about my venison Italian sausage. I know it's kinda cheating, but hey, making sausage is enough work in itself, why not make it a little easier on yourself? Enjoy!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Oakville here'e a couple to get you started.

Andouille

5 pounds pork butt
1/2 pound pork fat
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dry thyme
4 tablespoons salt
6 feet beef middle casing (see butcher or specialty shop)
Cube pork butt into one and a half inch cubes. Using a meat grinder with four one quarter inch holes in the grinding plate, grind pork and pork fat. If you do not have a grinding plate this size, I suggest hand cutting pork butt into one quarter inch square pieces.
Place ground pork in large mixing bowl and blend in all remaining ingredients. Once well blended, stuff meat into casings in one foot links, using the sausage attachment on your meat grinder. Tie both ends of the sausage securely using a heavy gauge twine.

In your homestyle smoker, smoke andouille at 175-200°F for approximately four to five hours using pecan or hickory wood. The andouille may then be frozen and used for seasoning gumbos, white or red beans, pastas or grilling as an hors d'oeuvre.

Apple Sausage
Its for 6 lbs

You will need the following.

2 1/2 lbs of lean meat (pork or beef)
2 1/2 lbs of pork butt
16 oz of granny smith apples, peeled, diced
1 1/3 T salt
1 1/2 T course black pepper
1 1/3 T coriander
2 T garlic granules (granulated garlic)
2 T paprika
2 T dextrose powder
3 T fresh chopped parsley
1 T cinnamon
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup non fat dry milk
33/36 mm sheep or hog casings (opt)

1. Grind meat through med plate 1 time.
2. In a large bowl or meat tub combine all the ingredients, mix thoroughly for about 5 mins. Mix well until completely combined.
3. Stuff all or half into casing twisting into 4/6" links. This can be made into patties too if you don't want to stuff.

Cook , bake, fry or broil.

Sausage that is not eaten within 4 days can be double wrapped and frozen for 6 months.

Note: This is not smoked.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

oakville smoker

Thanks all
Weekend was crazy, a trip to emergency to pick up my best friend after a nasty fall Friday night
12 staples in the back of his head and he is back in emergency again after another fall
Therefore no time for sausage making, even out the pork butt in the freezer, no time for thanks for input

I think I am goiung to try the "cheaters" first and then take things from there
I am still trying to figure out the casing thing but sooner than later it will start to make sense

The apple sausage sounds very good too, so I might just get brave and try that one

All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

I hope your friend feels better and regains their sense of balance!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!