Reheating Turkey Breast

Started by okeejohn, November 14, 2009, 06:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

Unfortunately, I will be on a cruise this Thanksgiving, but I am planning to brine and smoke a turkey breast for my mom and dad. My question is, after the turkey breast is done, which is better, wait until the turkey breast cools down before it hits the freezer or hit the freezer right away? Also, what instructions do I give my parents to reheat the turkey breasts?

Okeejohn
Okeechobee, Fl

squirtthecat

I would let it cool and then vacuum seal (if you can) before freezing.    Reheat slowly - maybe in a 225 degree oven..  Don't want to cook it twice.

okeejohn

If I vacuum seal it, could the turkey breasts be dropped into boiling water(in bag) and for how long?

Okeejohn

squirtthecat

I'd back it off of boiling...   Just simmering, maybe.    That's how I reheat pulled pork/brisket.

Not sure - how big is the breast?

Pachanga

I am with Squirt the Cat on reheating.  A low simmer in the bag will get good results.

I freeze a lot of fish and brined poultry as well as cooked meats. I have arrived at putting my goods to be vacuum sealed into a labeled bag, unsealed, and then into the freezer.  After it has firmed up to a more solid state, I seal it and do not suck the juices from the meat.  It also aids in preventing liquids from interfering with a good seal or having to double seal.

Good luck and good sealing,

Pachanga

TMB

Good tip Pachanga, never thought of freezing first then vacuum sealing. I have had a few bags go south because of juices in the sealing area.
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

squirtthecat

I just want to add, be very careful when pulling the bag out...  It'll be a slippery (and heavy) little sucker, and getting splashed with hot water would not be a good start to Turkey day.

Pachanga

My best results have been before the meat is hard frozen.  The meat will still move a little and conform to the bag.  A very small amount of liquid will be tapped around the meat but none is pulled out of the bag.

Believe it or not, I  have forgotten several times and ended up with hard frozen goods.  It is best to hand shape the bag around the low spots (the ribs of a chicken breast) in this case.  Push the bag into these low spots.  Otherwise the bag will sometimes bridge the low area and air will be trapped.

I found myself working very hard to retain moisture in the meat (cooked or raw) and then putting it in a vacuum bag and sucking it out.  Duh.

Food luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Pachanga

QuoteI just want to add, be very careful when pulling the bag out...  It'll be a slippery (and heavy) little sucker, and getting splashed with hot water would not be a good start to Turkey day.

You got that right!!!!!  Good point.  Long tongs are in order at my pot.

Good luck and no burning,

Pachanga

KyNola

Pachanga,

Good info about the "semi-freezing" before vac sealing.

KyNola

Pachanga

Thanks KyNola,

It only took me about 1,000 times for that light bulb to go off.  Even then, the bulb was dim.

Good Luck and sometimes keeping it cold will firm it up,

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

I reheat poultry a little differently. I tightly foil, and reheat at 350°F. Then towards the end, take it out of the oven, remove the foil, baste with melted butter, and turn up the heat to 400°F just long enough to crisp up the skin a little.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Habanero,

Sound like a winner to me.  I'll give that a try.  To quote Paula Dean, "butta can't hurt nuthin".

Good luck and more of that low fat cookin',

Pachanga

MAK DADDY

Quote from: okeejohn on November 14, 2009, 06:54:56 AM
Unfortunately, I will be on a cruise this Thanksgiving,

Okeejohn
Okeechobee, Fl

What cruise are you going on? We are heading to Mexico on Carnival Wednesday.
WWW.MAKGRILLS.COM
NOW YOU'RE SMOKIN'

KyNola

Not before you ship me my MAK grill you're not!!! :o :D ;D :D ;D

KyNola