• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID question ....

Started by outdoorsfellar, November 18, 2009, 05:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

I'm leaning towards to aquiring a PID. I guess my main reason is, I'm constantly running out to check the temp & making adjustments, when I could be all the more comfy in my recliner, or out in the woods behind the house. Anyway, I have two questions .... it looks like you have to slide the controller all the way to high I would imagine for the PID to control effectively ? & I was looking at some of the links posted on here & is the programable PID like the one from Auber Insturments ... the one for $149.00, a good choice. I honestly don't know what all types are out there, but just a basic ( if there is such a thing ) PID sounds good to me.  I've read where you program them & more or less, just leave the OBS alone. Thanks !

3rensho

Hi,

When using a PID just set the slider all the way to the right (max temp) and let her rip. I have two PID's.  One I put together from parts bought off e-bay and a year ago I got an Auber.  Use the Auber most of the time now as you can set several time/temperature stages for smoking/cooking.  No more running out to check the smoker.  Temp stays locked on.  Highly recommend one for an OBS (which I have).
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

watchdog56

I have the Auber programmable PID like the one you are looking at. I also have the 4 rack digital and The getting the PID is the only way to go in my opinion. It holds the temp +/- 2 degrees and I live in Minnesota.I have tried it on deer sticks,ribs,roast,brisket,and fatties and it works great.  

outdoorsfellar

Thanks !  After I posted that, I found more info on here about this particular PID. Sounds like a good choice so I went ahead & ordered.

BigFella

You won't be disappointed in the Auber PID.  When I got my OBS, I pulled the trigger right away before my first smoke.  It has been amazing.  Literally plug and play.  I had a few questions initially, and the people on this board were great in helping. 

I just last week got the Maverick ET-73 from the folks at Yard and Pool and the on sale Thermapen, so I'm thinking it will enhance my experience even more. 

Good luck and I can't wait to see your first results!

Hopefull Romantic

YOu made the right decision. I own the DBS 6 and the PID is the best way to go.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

drano

+1 on the Auber PID.
I've had mine about a year, and really like it.  I got the programmable version because I do sausage about 1/2 the time.   Being able to program the temps/times for sausage is great.  But if I'm doing ribs/butt/etc and want to change the temp manually, cycling thru the 6 program modes is slightly annoying just to change the first temp.
Oh well, can't have everything.

get smokin
drano

FLBentRider

I have the programmable one.

I have the first program set to 275F for 1 hour to pre-heat.

The rest of the cycles are 205F for 23 hours for pork butts, brisket, etc..

So it will run for six days.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

outdoorsfellar

My PID arrived today, just after ordering on Wednesday ! I figured I might as well & go ahead & initiate it with my ABTs that I planned for tomorrow.... no need to wait for a treat like that ! I have the wall mounted sensor & it's mounted per the Auber suggestion. Right now, it's holding a few degrees higher than my Maverick, but I kinda figured there'd be a slight difference.

pensrock

There are many variables so a few degrees difference can be expected. A special limits type K thermocouple tolerance is about +- 5 degrees. Most digital temperature controllers are +- 2 to 5 degrees. I'm sure the Maverick probe and readout are +- 2-5 degrees also. So you see there is room for error. And do not forget the difference in probe placement. Since I started using my PID (not an Auber) I only use my Mav for IT readings. I have an ET-7 and use both probes for IT readings.

Old_Sarge

Based on y'all's advice, I've ordered the Auber PID and will likely hold off on my first smoke until it arrives (maybe...I am famous for poor impulse control).

This is a great community, and y'all are the biggest reason I decided to order the OBS over other smokers. Thanks!

backstrap

Hey folks, I need help.  I purchased an OBS in March.  Added an additional heating element and the Auber PID.  It has worked beautifully for the past 6 months.  When I used it this past weekend however, I set it up as usual and went shopping. When I left it the temp was up to 225.  When I returned the temp was down to 182 and dropping.  I shut it down and tried it again yesterday & the temp wouldn't go over 65.  Any suggestions?

Mr Walleye

Backstrap

I'm not sure how you wired your additional element in?

Did you leave the slide control wired into the circuit?

I'm assuming you have the PID being directly powered from a wall outlet, then the tower plugged into the PID.

A couple of things to check and narrow it down...

Does the PID and circuit have a fuse and is it ok?

Take a power cord and plug the tower directly into the wall outlet and check to see if your heating elements get hot. If they do this would indicate a problem with the PID. If they do not get hot this would indicate a problem in the tower.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

backstrap

Thanks Mike,
I did as you suggested and the elements heated right up.  When I routed it thru the PID they went off.  Do you know if there is a fuse in the PID?  It will turn on and read the temp but will not feed juice to the smoker.

Mr Walleye

BackStrap

If it powers up but doesn't switch the power it almost sounds like the SSR has failed.

I'm assuming you have the Plug & Play version. Did it come with a manual?

I would shoot Auber a quick email. He is really good at getting back to you, even on holidays.

Here is Suyi Liu's email address if you need it.

[email protected]

Mike

PS

I just went and checked Auber's site and there isn't any manuals for the Plug & Play units available on the site that I can see.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes