• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

food dehydrator

Started by Ninjak, November 18, 2009, 08:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninjak

Hello guys i am going to smoke a small have today first time :)..
anyway i want to make some jerky this weekend so do i realy need a food dehydrator
how can i make jerky without ? i like the jerky soft, also i need to get some idea on some flavors store bought or hand made if anybody wants to give it up or point me to where to buy it ready to go '

Thanks al

KyNola

Ninjak,
A dehydrator is not required but in my opinion it sure makes jerky life easier.  Poke aorund in this section of the forum as there are several postings that will tell you how to make jerky using only the Bradley and there also several recipes for jerky as well.

KyNola

Ninjak

ok so if i like the jerky soft after a few hours of smoking and cooking is the meat done so i can eat it ?

AL

FLBentRider

As long as it doesn't still look like raw meat I would eat it.

If you do keep it soft I would refrigerate it, it won't keep too long (unrefrigerated) if there is too much moisture in the meat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ninjak

ok now it makes since why you dry the meat out
Al

willy56

I have yet to use the Bradley to make jerky but have had luck in a very low temp oven on the racks.
If you have a convection oven available, some of the better ones will have a dehydrater setting that drops the temp and lets the fan run.
Stick a wooden spoon handle in the door to prop it open a tad so the moist air has an escape route.

And yes, dry it out or it will spoil.