Anyone have a good low-carb sauce?

Started by TMB, November 17, 2009, 11:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

The wife and I are going to do the low-carb diet for awhile so as not to eat a bunch of junk the holiday season. The good thing is I get to smoke and use my Big Easy a lot!   ;D    But need a few idea's for a sauce or two to get me through it!   

If anyone has a good sauce please let me know.   :)  It's gonna be tough eating all meat for awhile. 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

squirtthecat

We had a thread about some sugar free commercial sauces endorsed by the ADA...  Let me find it.

[edit]

Here it is..  Plus some other sauce recipe substitution ideas.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11484.0

TMB

Thanks, I'll look it over and see what I come up with.

FLBentRider

We have been doing the low carb thing for a while. PM me if you want to discuss.

Vaunted Vinegar sauce, while not really no-carb is great (if you like vinegar) .

You can adjust the amount of sugar to your liking.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TMB

Great sent you a PM. You can email me if that would be better. [email protected]   thanks

Habanero Smoker

Walden Farms makes a variety of 0 carb products. They do make barbecue suaces, and ketchup which you can use as a base for your own sauces using sugar substitue or agave syrup. The ketchup is so so but can be kicked up with Tabasco sauce. Many of the grocery chains now carry that product.

Walden Farms

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I looked at the agave, I haven't bought any yet.

It still has carbs, its just a whole lot sweeter per gram than sugar so you use less of it.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TMB

Thnaks guys I'll keep this in mind. If I can just get the wife to eat onions every now and then, she says tomany carbs. So now you know what I am up against!!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 17, 2009, 02:42:00 PM

It still has carbs, its just a whole lot sweeter per gram than sugar so you use less of it.

You should give it a try. I've been using it off and on for several years. I prefer the amber color agave over the darker (made from the blue agave plant). It is rated at least twice the sweetness of sugar, and that can also be used in the vaunted vinegar sauce instead of brown sugar; thus maintaining your desired sweetness and lowering the calories.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TMB

Does it have a funny taste? One thing I can't stand about "other" sweatners is the after taste. But I will look for it here this week end. Thanks for the info.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 18, 2009, 01:40:07 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on November 17, 2009, 02:42:00 PM

You should give it a try. I've been using it off and on for several years. I prefer the amber color agave over the darker (made from the blue agave plant). It is rated at least twice the sweetness of sugar, and that can also be used in the vaunted vinegar sauce instead of brown sugar; thus maintaining your desired sweetness and lowering the calories.

I'll give it a try.

I don't think they have it at my regular supermarket, I did see it at whole foods.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Look into the Stevia sweetener.  0 Carbs.  But does not brown like sugar does,  So may not burn if you use it in a sauce to be used in the grill.  

Something like 250 to 300 times sweeter than sugar.  Some of the products have a slight bitter aftertaste, particularly if you use too much.  Some of the newer versions don't seem to have the aftertaste. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TMB

We have a Fresh Market here so they may have it or maybe order some for me or there is a natural food store here as well, so maybe they will have it.       

Thanks,

Habanero Smoker

Keep in mind I have some strange tastes buds. To me cilantro tastes like soap, cumin tastes like dirty feet (not that I have tasted dirty feet, just going by the smell of them), milk and water out of plastic containers has a nasty bitter taste, and stevia has a bad metallic after taste.

As for the agave syrup the amber is very good, the darker syrup is also good but it has a very mild bitter after taste if you use in on pancakes or as a topping. When it is in a sauce or baked goods it is not noticeable.

I
         don't
                   inhale.