Bottom Round Success!

Started by Indy, March 09, 2005, 09:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy

Hello All,

I wanted to pass along a success story with an inexpensive cut of meat.

I was walking though Krogers and noticed that they had Bottom Round on sale for about a $1.75 a pound. I realized that Bottom, or Eye of, round could end up turning out a lot like "Smoked Baseball Mit" if I wasn't careful, but I was planning to smoke a Boston butt anyway so I bought a 6 pound bottom round figuring that, at the worst, all that chewing would probably be good exersize.

I didn't have any time to marinate the beef so I simply coated it with olive oil and rubbed it with lots of cracked pepper and ground garlic. I also covered it in bacon. The bacon probably doesn't help at all, but it sure tastes good when your done!

I put it in the smoker with 4 hours of apple pucks (because of the pork) and left. Unfortunately when I came back 5 hours later, I realized that I had the temp set too low (140 degrees). I raised the temp to 225 and cooked the whole thing for 5 more hours to an internal temp of 140. I FTC (foil, towel, cooler) and then sliced the thing up. Before my wife started complaining that the completion of this particular 10 hour smoking marathon also happened to coincide with 12:30am, she did say that it was the best beef I've made yet in the smoker.

The taste was somewhere between a Pastrami and a traditional roast beef only with an awesome smokey flavor. It wasn't too chewy either. Next time I might try a spicier rub/coating although the pepper was great. Maybe mustard like I've used with a brisket. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

"Smoke 'em if ya got 'em"

Ray

oguard

Ray I've done a bottom round roast with the pepper medeley(sp?) from costco,turned out yummy[:p][:p]I first rubbed the beef down with a mixture of maple syrup and whiskey then applied the pepper.Put in fridge for 12 hrs then in the smoker till i.t. of 140f then FTC.Great taste and very juicy[:p][:p].Even better the next day for beef dip.

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><b><font size="3"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size3"></b></font id="Comic Sans MS">

BTW I used maple pucks but next time might try hickory(about 2 hrs worth)
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

I might give this a try. When I do a brisket I just use freshly ground pepper, kosher salt and garlic powder. When I get around to do a bottom round, I'll use the same seasoning. On beef I use a combination of 1 mesquite to 3 hickory and smoke for four hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

I've used Wishbone Italian for an overnight marinade.. Excellent.  A little of your favorite rub then essentially time in a 210° smoker until internal temp 135-140 reached.  FTC for two hours then on the table.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.