Shrimp Scampi for Two

Started by ArnieM, November 21, 2009, 04:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I'm smoking beef tomorrow but needed something quick and simple for tonight.  It helps to clean the freezer out.

Shrimp Scampi with flavored Basmati rice and asparagus.

The shrimp:
10 X-Large shrimp (that's all that was left) thawed.
A bunch of fresh finely chopped garlic.
A pinch of dried onion flakes.
A pinch of Italian seasoning.
3 TBS Olive oil.
2 TBS unsalted butter.
A few hot pepper flakes.

Put everything in a cast iron pan and just heat on low to infuse the oil with flavor.  Here's the shrimp pan:

I have to give credit to my sous chef here.  She chopped up the garlic and peeled the shrimp.  She likes garlic  ;D

The rice:
1/3 cup Basmati (only 2 of us)
Garlic and onion in oil, same deal as the shrimp.  Let it infuse.

Add one crumbled Knorr's Chipotle bullion cube - NO added salt.

Turn up the heat on the rice pot.  Add the rice and stir.  I like it kinda toasted. 
Add a little less than 2/3 cup water.  I've found Basmati does better qith less than the traditional 2:1 water:rice mix.
Bring to a boil.  Turn down to low and simmer for 18 minutes.

The rice before the water:

Preheat the broiler.  I've done these both on the stove top and the broiler.  I prefer them broiled.  I dunno - maybe the dry heat.  They'll go on a rack 4-5 inches from the broiler.

Everybody in the pool.  Toss to coat.

Oh yeah.  Get the asparagus into some lightly salted boiling water.  Probably 3-4 minutes.

When the shrimp get orange, pull the pan and turn 'em.  Put 'em back for another couple of minutes.

They come out looking like this.

Finally, plate it up.  A little of the shrimp oil and garlic on the rice.

I love smoking but sometimes just don't have the time or the materials on hand.  Has anyone smoked up some shrimp?

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

jaredpost

That looks really good. Don't think 5 shrimp would fill me up, good apetizer though.

ArnieM

Quote from: jaredpost on November 21, 2009, 04:30:45 PM
That looks really good. Don't think 5 shrimp would fill me up, good apetizer though.

I know what you mean jared, but that's all that was left.  Maybe I can sneak a pulled pork sammie later tonight.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

ArnieM

It wasn't much to eat but it was tasty.  I like a plate that looks appetizing but I'm not fancy.

I watch the cooking shows.  Iron Chef, original and the U.S. version, Chopped et al.

They bring out an entree - two sea scallops on a green leaf of something with some julienne carrots on top with a sprinkle of Foo Foo sauce surrounding it.  The comments are: "That's too large a portion".  Hey, where's the beef??!!!

-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Dang it Arnie, nest time make twice as much, invite me over and it's dinner for three!. I could eat a bunch of that. Looks awesome.
HawkeyeSmokes

seemore

Better make a lot more, so that that the Mrs and I can come over along with HawkI!!!
That looks amazing!
We have friends who RAVE about basmati rice;  guess we will have to try that now.........

ArnieM

Hawkeye, June and Scott - you're all welcome.  If you get to this part of the country, give me an hour's notice and we'll have a party.

The rice.  My wife gets big bags of Basmati, probably from Costco.  It's a flavorful, non-sticky rice, long grain.  Just don't use too much liquid or overcook it.  I also do 'sticky' rice for Sushi or stuffed grape leaves (Yum).

Rice, thousands or maybe even hundreds of varieties are staples on this planet.   ;D  It's worthwhile to learn how to use  them.
-- Arnie

hal4uk

I see y'all ain't "shy" with the garlic..
Looks great!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Tenpoint5

Quote from: hal4uk on November 21, 2009, 08:55:54 PM
I see y'all ain't "shy" with the garlic..
Looks great!
What you trying to say that you can use too much garlic. Whodda thunkit

Skrimps look awsome Arnie!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

Not at all TP...
Dynamite can be overused, but never garlic.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

pensrock

Looks really good, next time throw a splash of white wine in the pan. :)

ArnieM

Quote from: pensrock on November 22, 2009, 07:38:07 AM
Looks really good, next time throw a splash of white wine in the pan. :)

Actually, there was.  I just forgot to mention it.  Pinot Grigio.

Y'all have an open invite if you're up this way.  We'll cook something up.  I have a guest room.  It might sleep four VERY friendly people.  ;D
-- Arnie